Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody changed the color of their dash lights? I was thinkin' about changing the color from boring crappy green to either red or *gasp blue (like audi's and vw's) I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not. thx

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
my buddy changed all of his in the tang, to red, i might od mine in the dash with the speedo, to red it would tight i think

·
Registered
136 Posts
wellll.. if you're going to do the dash ones be aware that they have a special filter type thing on the gauges for green as well.. u could do it like mine (all red) but that required front lighting..

jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed mine to red

I changed mine to red. It's time consuming but pretty simple. They use the same bulbs as your over head reading lamps. I think you need 5 or 6 of them. The one problem I found is that the Gas gage light isn't the same, its a tiny LED. Hard to find in red. However, even with the green tinge in the actual gauge, It comes out nice and red, looks so phat.

To do it you need to remove the center console so you can remove the dash panel that surrounds the stereo, climate controls and gauges. The panel is held in by two screws beside the ash tray (hidden by the center console) and 3 screws above the gauge cluster. Other than that its held in by snaps. Once you've got it loose, you have to disconnect the wiring harnesses for the Cruise control button, Fog light button etc... And disconnect the cable that runs to the climate control lever to the left of the center vents. This can be a very annoying process because they don't give much excess wire :( Once thats done, lower the steering wheel and remove the dash panel.

Next you have to remove the gauge cluster which is held in by 4 screws. The lights are held in at the back by little round screw in caps, remove each one with a slot screwdriver, takes like a quarter of a turn and change the bulb. It sounds more complicated than it is, and its well worth it :)

After you've replaced the bulbs, turn the car on and test it before you reassemble the dash, I didn't think to do that and one bulb ended up being out. I think everyone in the neighbour hood heard me swearing :) Good luck, if you need any more help lemme know...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, to bring this up again...mad-mx6 are the actual bulbs colored? because i thought that they were just white bulbs and that the backing on the gauges was green. Did you take the backing off and replace? or what? I'm kind of confused. Can anybody else help here?

[Edited by _bullet_ride_ on 11-03-2000 at 01:46 PM]

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Bulbs and guages

I recommend mounting a couple of LED's in front of your guages up under the dash lip there.

Im going to a digital dash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bulbs are clear with a green covers on the actual bulbs, not the back of the gauges. All you have to do is replace the bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.