Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to swap my dash surround for one from a j-spec to gain the coin tray

Heres how to remove the dash surround.

1st remove the ashtray and lighter

next, put the car in 4th gear and unscrew the gear knob

remove the small plastic tab by the handbrake, it just unclips

then you can lift away the centre console. Starting at the handbrake end lift it up and slide the leather gaitor off the shifter, lifting the back will unhook the console from the dash.

To remove the centre console completely, unscrew the 2 bulbs at the rear of the ashtray and unplug the lighter

Next, remove the 4 screws from under the steering column. Mine shows 3 as 1 was missing. Push the column height adjuster lever down then drop the column then pop the top cover of the steering column off.

Next, unplug the ignition barrel light bulb by unscrewing it.

You can now take out the 3 screws under the dash near the gauge cluster.

The dash it now ready to come off, start by gently prising it away in the centre.

Now comes the most fiddly part. The dash vent in the centre is attached with a cable. To remove this, undo the screw which attaches the cable to the housing (see pic) then persuade the cable to come out of the clip. You need to pull/twist the cable a little as the bit that holds it in is a sort of S shape.

Finally reach round the back of the dash switches and unplug each one. They are colour coded except the hazard/rear window switches but they are easily tested when refitting so dont worry.

Remember that once the switches are unplugged the dash illumination will not work.

For reference, the heater control panel is held in with 2 screws and has 3 white connectors on the back

The speedo cluster is held in with 4 screws and has 3 or 4 connector plugs on the back (forgot to look).

Refitting is easy, start with the heater cable 1st then re-install the switches. Push the surround into place and put the 3 screws near the speedo back in. Refit the steering column by putting the bottom section on 1st then connect the bulb. Then put on the top section and refit the screws.

Finally, re-connect the lighter and bulbs, slide the gaitor over the gearstick then push into place by hooking the dash end 1st and the handbrake end last.

Refit the gearknob and plastic tab by the handbrake, job done.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no worries Dave, I plan on taking the clock out and putting 3 guages in mine using a din plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts