Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started noticing that the black part of my dash is starting to look a little beat up and nasty, so I started thinking about getting a dash trim kit. Is there anyone out there who has one put on that likes the look? I've seen pictures of brushed aluminum and carbon fiber, but I'm not sure what would look good in my car. My car is the factory green with a tan interior. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
ekwlkewl

I have a green 6 with two-tone tanned leather interior...

I decided to go with the would grain dash kit.... and a matching MOMO shift knob is on its way... You should check out www.exoticwooddash.com thats where I got the idea for mine... I have yet to take pics but it looks very very classy... I thought about aluminum and carbon... but I dont think either of those would look right on the two-tone tanned leather...

cheers

oh by the way... I got it installed for 140CAD.. it was cheap beacuse the kit that fits the 6 is discontinued...

:)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Paint or Dye?

You could just as easily start taking the interior apart and then paint it with good spray paint or find an interior dye kit and dye the biatch, but if your good with spray paint it will hold up, 2 coat primer, 4 coat paint, 3 coat clear
:smokin:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems as if painting it myself would probably cost less, and doesn't seem to hard to do. I saw some pics of someone who did that and it looked great, since he had a red dash that matched his car. My car is green though and I'm not sure how it would look if I painted my dash the same color. Do you have any pics of yours? =)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Interior Painting

Im actually reinstalling it tommrow. However the actual dashboard is a bitch the take out. The trim and all the little shit is easy. If you are thinking about getting the actual dash out you need to remove everything from the interior. All the trim, the gauge faces, head unit, etc. Its a bitch. You could look into getting a Vinyl Diing Kit, but be careful.
Ill help you as much as poss

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you plan on repainting everything yourself with some sort of spray paint or something there are a couple things i MUST stress because GOOD spray painting is an art.

1 - take your freaking time, don't rush and try and do it all in one day,let everything dry thoroughly

2 - don't do it at night, or when its cloudy, trust me, you just can't beat nature here

3 - sand it down very very smooth. the spray won't fill in giant holes and if you don't sand down enough it'll show through the primer and all

just take your time and be careful, its a pain to have to do again

·
Registered
29 Posts
consider carbon

i got a carbon fiber kit off of ebay for $110!!! It looks great on my red 6 and i have the grey cloth int., just go on ebay and type in "mx 6 dash", it says aluminum, but if you win the bid you can choose polished aluminum, woodgrain, or carbon fiber, it covers a lot for $110, people looking for a dash kit check it out b/c it is custom fit real carbon fiber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts