Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw an apparently new crate engine on ebay. I asked the guy for some more pics, he says that it's a bit oxidized but it's brand new from the factory and has just been sitting in his shed or something. The pics looks bad, dunno what to think. But he assures it's brand new. I unfortunately can't see this engine in person so I am very skeptical to buy it.

What do you guys think? My MX6 has 200,000kms and the engine looks perfectly clean, dunno how this got so bad just sitting there, unless it got water damage???

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the crate engines that popped up on ebay a few months ago where sealed in plastic and you could tell these things were brand new from 50 feet away they were so clean. That does not look brand new.

Even if that engine is brand new (and a peak under the valve covers is a good indication of that) I'd still replace most of the rubber and gaskets. They have to be over 10 years old at this point and who know how long they been sitting in this guys shed in obviously less than ideal conditions.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
seriously looks like he stored the engine in a bird's nest. there's bird poop all over it

·
Registered
319 Posts
My guess, this is from ocean travel oxidation. It may have even got wet on its journey.

What matters most is whether or not there could be any internal oxidation issues. That would not be good. Probably it was sufficiently sealed to keep everything out of the inside of the engine, but....................

I recommend CAUTION.

How much is he asking?

The guy who sold me my motor still has a few left, I think. At least one...and also another new one but without inlet and a few other things.

eBay Motors: NEW 1995 FORD PROBE 2.5L COMPLETE ENGINE ASSEMBLY (item 390046114362 end time Apr-28-09 17:39:02 PDT)

I guess shipping to Australia might be alot, though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the dude who won the item last time went to look at it and ran away in fear lol. He only wants $1000 AUD for it so that does sound too good to be true.

I'll ask for more pics soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Install yet?

Have you installed that "NEW" old stock engine from ebay yet. Just wondering how that went and if you had any problems. That's a remarkable find and buy.

My guess, this is from ocean travel oxidation. It may have even got wet on its journey.

What matters most is whether or not there could be any internal oxidation issues. That would not be good. Probably it was sufficiently sealed to keep everything out of the inside of the engine, but....................

I recommend CAUTION.

How much is he asking?

The guy who sold me my motor still has a few left, I think. At least one...and also another new one but without inlet and a few other things.

eBay Motors: NEW 1995 FORD PROBE 2.5L COMPLETE ENGINE ASSEMBLY (item 390046114362 end time Apr-28-09 17:39:02 PDT)

I guess shipping to Australia might be alot, though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
She's purring like a banshee to mix a metaphor in a most terrible way.

Engine is running really really strong now. I'm trying to break it in properly so have kept it under 5000 rpms pretty much but wow...this car wants to go FAST now.

My EGR isn't working at the moment, but oh well, I tried using a newer 95 sensor that came with the motor but I don't think it's going to work with the 93 harness....so will have to swap out the position sensor and possibly the whole EGR valve which will be a pain.

It's nice to have a new clutch also...I was nervous since my level of past experience doing this kind of work is quite limited but clutch is operating fine, thanks be to God. Even the tranny is semi-new...a JDM import with about 50K miles I got for $300 + shipping I think it was. Maybe $400...i forget now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very jealous of your engine Jamal!

I might ring up mazda and see how much they sell them for here. I know a rebuild costs like $3500 over here. So if it's in that price range I'd consider it. Might ring ford too.

I have like 3 K8 engine blocks, brand new as well. I could try swap them for a complete engine lol. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
^ dont bother ringing mazda.

One of the Aus guys rang a few years ago asking about a new gearbox...

around $15K i think it was.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to ship a motor from the U.S. to Australia? Anybody have an idea?

It can't be over $1000 surely.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could build one just as nice if not actually much better, I'm sure.

It would take a little time, but it's totally doable. Cost would not be all that much higher as long as you don't get too extravagant with engine components. And higher compression would be nicer anyways unless you plan to do use some forced induction.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'd rather pay 3500 for a brand new DE engine than 3500 for a rebuilt ZE (rebuilt by some place that might not do it right). Unless I did it mostly myself.

The great thing about that DE engine is every little bit on it is new. Leads, disty, alternator, air con etc etc. You don't get that from a rebuild.

I messaged that guy who's selling them on ebay and he said he won't ship to Aus.

I'm gonna ring up mazda. They surely can't sell them for more than 5 grand. I've heard of people getting them from excess stock clearances for about 3000. Can't hurt to call up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The disty was incompatible with my 93, so I"ve got a brand new 95+ disty sitting around...I should try and sell it.

The motor did not come with any other auxillary component- no alternator or AC compressor. But I'm not complaining.

Bummer, I don't know why he wouldn't ship to AUS unless he's concerned over the chance of it getting damaged somehow along the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts