Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday I was driving out of town to go to work about 45 mins,
I was not driving crazy or rough on the car. I got to my destination turned the car off and just sat there listening to the radio because I was waiting for someone. about 15 minutes later my radio turned off, my antenna went down and I couldn't start my car at all, there was nothing. I got boosted and everything was fine as long as continued to drive frequently (once or twice a day) untill the car sat for two or more days, then I needed a boost again.

Is this just a battery problem or is something draining my battery or has something malfunctioned somewhere. Has any had this happen to them before.

thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
An internal battery failure (short) or a defective alternator come to mind as two possibilities.

To test the battery, next time you stop for any length of time, disconnect the negative terminal until you're ready to drive it again. If the battery has held the charge, then the battery is probably okay and the drain is in the car; a shorted alternator diode is one possibility.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

I unhooked the battery and tried it the next morning and the battery was still dead. I thought that is what it was but I anted to know for sure before I started spending money.

I bought another battery now and it works great.

I appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i got a question relating to this.. if i hook up my power wire for my amp on a screw connected to my fuse box does this mean its draining power from my car even when its off?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
If the amp has a remote turn-on wire, then no, it won't drain the battery. The amp's internal power supply is disabled until the remote turn on goes active (i.e. you turn your system on.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts