Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying for find out what was causing the my cooling fan from not kicking on when one of the jumpers i had hooked touched something, sparked, and i heard something click or pop. now my cluster isn't working (i.e. no dumby lights, no tach) and the aas switch, reverse lights and the heater controls don't work. the fan still blows but it doesn't get directed. everything else still works, the radio, blinkers(and indicator lamps), dome light, brake lights, headlights, the in-dash clock and the car still runs.

i have searched and can't find much of anything... thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Check your fuse box located under the dash to the right of the clutch/brake pedal. You may have blown a fuse out.

As for the cooling fan, it runs of its own relay. Pull the wire from the sensor and ground it, this will cause it to turn on/off depending on what year yours is because i have read that the 1G A and 1G B cooling fan sensors work in opposite ways.

On my 88', when the sensor reaches a certain temp the sensor grounds itself and turns on the fan.

·
Registered
415 Posts
1genA = disconnect sensor wire, fan starts.
1genB = ground sensor wire, fan starts.

Edit: as for the dash being dead, check the fusebox next to the clutch pedal, there's a fuse there marked METER, which is probably a goner. Check page 17 of this WSM chapter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check the fuse box in the left corner of the Driver's foot well/kick panel. Was in there just the other day and I recall there being one for the cluster.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Check METER fuse in fusebox. I seem to recall this fuse also powers something to do with cooling fan/blower motor relay circuit as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked it, it was the meter fuse, thanks everyone

it just seems weird that one fuse would account for all those electrical...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Trust me, the electrical oddities in these cars are enough to give a grown man grey hair...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hear that one, i have already had one electrical problem but that was from the previous owner's lack of intelligence of wiring.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah... my car had really stupid previous owners, so the 4ws system is buggered, and I pretty much had to fix rust in all four wheelhouses/strut towers, and fix alot of other misc stuff... like getting a new FE-DOHC because the old one was busted :(

Also my rear wiper doesnt work, and the seat heater in the drivers seat is shot.

Sorry, just had to vent abit..

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, thats alright man. the radio wiring and misc. wires where just twisted and electrical taped together, i had to go back and redo all that when i first got the car.

my previous car (ford contour sport) had to get a new engine put in it and the guy that did it didn't do anything right and i was going to fix but the alternator was going again and my parents traded it in... for a 4 door sedan that thing had some balls

1 - 10 of 10 Posts