Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93's KLDE appears to be dead. It seized up after spinning a few bearings. The crank is in rough shape. I've been online and making allot of calls trying to figure out options. Man this has been tough. Can't find a longblock or crank kit. It appears as if they aren't being made anymore. Very few KL motors on Ebay. What i did find was a few KFs. But honestly I don't want to take the risk w that and I don't care for KFs. So I'm thinking maybe going w a KLG4. But not hot on the idea of making tons of mods to accommodate it. Also, I'll be bringing the siezed Klde engine in peices to a machine shop soon to figure out what can be reused w my engine. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Any thoughts on alternatives?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happily, I avoided an internet purchase. I found a used KLDE, out of a 93 626. It was at a salvage yard. Only had to drive 2 hours. I'm rebuilding it now. Any tips on who makes a good oil pump. Looking at a SKP from Rauto.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First rebuild was due to a radiator cracking its tank. This happened while driving, full speed, down an interstate. The engine overheated in the blink of an eye. It blew a head gasket before I could get off the road. The motor had 165kish on it. I decided to do a total rebuild because of its high mileage. When I tore the engine down I found allot of very worn bearings. It was indeed a good time for overhaul.

Then the car was doing fine, for many years, after the rebuild until one very foggy morning, I accidentally drove over an object in the shoulder. It tore a hole in the oil pan. Not knowing this at the time, I drove on it. In less than a few minutes the motor siezed due to oil loss. I should have stopped and got a tow. This was my fault. But it did teach me that these engines, KLDEs, are somewhat more delicate than others I've owned. Still I'm attached to this car and putting it back on the road very soon. I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts