·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeh, it happened. got a canary last night. got done for:
pod filter not secured
battery not secured
battery wiring not secured
fron seat not secured properly (copper yanked it off the rails!)
front tyres scrubbed out
front end alignment

all in a petrol station as i was filling up with fuel.
cant stand these people who set out to defect cars. they were going to defect a vl commo, but it had already been defected, so they done me. car was officially off the road from the 30/11.

ah wells, im gonna have fun with the road worthy certificate!

cheers, nick.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
damn, sorry to hear nick.

i got defected a few months back if you remember, and i still havent cleared it. let me know if you find a good place to go for RWC ok mate?

friday night was BAD. I stopped by elwood beach and police had blocked off the carpark (i assume going on a defect spree).. on chapel st, there were police walking along defecting everybody.

its getting so out of hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry to hear bro, damn these f**** cops. was at elwwod also on fri and saw a couple of guys getting canaried. Also saw da same cop that did me two weeks ago, he was on a bike this time... me and my bro gave him something to remember...hahaha
anyways on tues gona go and get a RWCfor my mx, ill c how i go, if its all good ill let u know XsKaPe...

G

·
black_tx5 said:
pod filter not secured
battery not secured
battery wiring not secured
fron seat not secured properly (copper yanked it off the rails!)
front tyres scrubbed out
front end alignment

all in a petrol station as i was filling up with fuel.
cant stand these people who set out to defect cars. they were going to defect a vl commo, but it had already been defected, so they done me. car was officially off the road from the 30/11.

ah wells, im gonna have fun with the road worthy certificate!

cheers, nick.
Let me get this right, A cop can do roadworthy inspection on your car for no reasion at all? Thats crazy.

In the US only certian states require you to periodicly have your car inspected, but never at random on the road.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: Re: Defected

FlySwat said:
Let me get this right, A cop can do roadworthy inspection on your car for no reasion at all? Thats crazy.
The theory is that if what you are driving is unsafe to you or other road users, then they can defect you on the spot. This can be part of your being pulled over for another offence (speeding, dangerous driving, whatever), or on its own.

Not all states of Australia have periodic roadworthy certification to begin with, and to be seen to be protecting the safety of other road users, "defect surprise" can be the only way it happens. The premise is that if they think your car is unsafe, they have powers to do something about it (so it's not in theory "random").

Now if only they'd use these powers on the pieces of junk I see driving around here.. you know, rusted out Kombi vans that pour out noxious fumes while having a "World Conservation Foundation" sticker in the back window. Cars that the driver obviously doesn't care about.

My theory is that the defect notice is often directed more at the driver than the car. It would be interesting to see some statistics on the age and gender of the recipients of defect notices.

The sad thing is that consistency of laws from state to state is not our forte. A cop can defect me for my tinting here in SA (too dark on side windows), but in NSW it's no problem (that's where I bought it from, and it always passed its RWC there). I don't know what that means if you drive your tinted, NSW registered car in SA!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Re: Re: Defected

FlySwat said:

In the US only certian states require you to periodicly have your car inspected, but never at random on the road.
Yeah thats the case. It gets better when sometime they will send you to a department of transport inspection center right there and then. Happened to me at 11pm at night, and I had to wait there for 2 hours.
Car was cleared though, no defects.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
thanks chicomx, i need to find a place that will be, umm, leaniant.

you should come to one of our meets dude.

i agree with cardinalbiggles, defects ARE directed at drivers and not cars.

·
Registered
886 Posts
black_tx5 said:
pod filter not secured
Not secured ? I thought pods were suposed to be illegal, full stop ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
pod filters are legal as long as they are not oiled.

if they ARE oiled (i.e k&n) then they must be partioned away from the engine bay (in an airbox or in the fender etc)

i havent heard anything about them being having to be "secured".. i'll research it a little, but if its true, then im in strife.

i can no longer fit an airbox on the mx6, and i was going to chuck a cheapo non oiled pod on there to pass the rwc.

would it be legal to have no airfilter? (just when i turn up at vicroads)})

·
Registered
123 Posts
really you dont have much to complain about....most of teh problems are problems that shouldnt be there!!!

battery stuff = cause fires or the battery could be thrown in an accicent (seen it happen...hey the car thats smashed me hadnt secured his either!!!!)

Front seat = fark if its not on properly its not on!!!...imagine it in a accident!!!

if u cant stand people who defect cars dont have a defective car!!!

cars that arnt roadworthy shouldnt be on teh road!!!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lino: I completely agree with you on that one. However (atleast in WA) I hate the fact that they can give you a yellow on the premise that you car *may be* defective, and most cop's know very little about what is and isnt legal. Proof of this was when I was younger, my old man works for Ford as a salesman (no wise cracks - his job feed me for years) and I was driving a demo of his that happened to be a XR8. It had been tinted by FORD from factory.

When I got pulled over by a cop (random breath test) he yellow stickered the car because he *thought* the tint was too dark. I didnt help the situation after he did this by laughing at the fact he had done it, (after I explained to him that it was exactly the same grade tint that was on his patrol car, and if 'mine' was illegal, then so was his!)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if ur going to look at EVERY little thing then i would say 70% of cars on the road would fail a defect inspection.

funny i hear so many defect stories in other states but rarely in our great state of NSW :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yeh, i saw the copper run his fingers over the filter checking for oil. he had to pick up something so he said it wasnt secured. as for the battery not being secured, i assume ALL 1st gens are defective koz i have the standard bracket around my battery. same goes for the wiring, its standard! fair enough the insides of my tyres were scrubbed out.....as for the front seat, if he hadnt of pulled it off the rails, it would have been fine! its never been loose except when that bastard ripped at it......forgot to mention they also put a hole in my subwoofer koz they "suspected" it was stolen!!!!! i bought the god damn car with the system already in it!!!!! and i couldnt say a thing. cant afford to be charged whilst on a bond.

my opinion is that if you have a nice looking car, and there is a P plate on it, then its defective. simple. it was the last day of the month, and thats when they go on a spree to fill their quota. just a bunch of bias, jealous pricks is all they are.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
my opinion is that if you have a nice looking car, and there is a P plate on it, then its defective
well..i know it sounds dumb, but i simply dont put my P plates on anymore. ever since i have left them off, i have not been pulled over once. when u had them on, i found myself being pulled over quite a lot. i know i can get fined without it on, but the last coppa that caught me without P Plates let me go after i said "they must have fallen off".

i just figure that either way...if u come into contact with a bad coppa, ur gonna get a fine for anything. i just manage to remember the areas with unmarked cars etc and steer away from them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
yeah, some police can be bastards.

ducktape, there are new laws in melbourne which are about to (or already have?) been put in place. basically if u now get caught for driving without displaying your Ps, you get 3 demerrit points!

too much of a risk. points are invaluable.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
oh that sucks. i wonder if we have that here in sydney?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Usually NSW is one demerit per plate I believe, thus regularly 2 demerits but I believe they could also do you for "Not comply with conditions of licence" thus 2 points per plate.

funny i hear so many defect stories in other states but rarely in our great state of NSW
if you have not there havent been many defect's occuring in NSW you may need to listen a bit harder. On the forum's here there haven't been too many that I remember but I know that people didn't go to newcastle on a weekend for a number of months purely for that reason (and woolongong i believe is the same) as they were doing major crackdowns and defected and pitted hundreds

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
hmm in wa its only ( :rolleyes: ) $150 fine per plate, no demerits (unless they changed it since a couple of years ago).

as for giving out canarys, they need at least three points of defection but that is very easy to get. even a brand new car from the show room would fail if it was looked over properly. they can get u for:
1. windscreen wipers not been effective enough
2. not having any fluid/water in the wiper pump
3. having something hanging around the rearvision mirror.
4. having rear speakers on too big spacers (thus creating a
blockage sorta)
and a multitude of other stupid and meaningless things. but generally if your car doesnt look riced-up or dodgy, u should be fine as long as u dont talk back to the coppa.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my car doesnt look riced up, my car doesnt look dodgy. and i certainly didnt talk back to the cops. so there goes that theory. they just go on blitzs in the usual hang out/hot spots. its got nothing to do with the state of the car. this old hippy combi van drove past as i was being defected, smoke pouring out, holes in the exhaust for sure, a real emission producer, and the cops didnt even look twice at it! i told u, they are just jealous koz they cant afford a nice car on their pitiful wages. sometimes i wonder if cops are even human....

·
Registered
28 Posts
must agree with u blacktx5, these cops in melb r wankers... so if u boys from melb decide to go to places such as elwood beach, st kilda, chapel, be carefull cos if they wana defect u they will, no matter how nice u can be...they jst abuse their power and think that because they have a badge they can do wotever they want

1 - 20 of 23 Posts