Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've got an issue that I hope the 1st gen 2.2 Turbo gurus can help me with.

I've a 1992 that has an intermittent no start, hard start issue. If it does start, it'll feel like it's running on 3 cylinders for a bit then die. Occasionally it runs BEAUTIFULLY for about 20 minutes then bogs down and dies. Any idea what could be causing this?

I can post up a video of it if desired.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed? Might want to look inside the distributor cap and see if there are any arc traces between posts too. good basic service first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed? Might want to look inside the distributor cap and see if there are any arc traces between posts too. good basic service first.
The fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all new.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Diagnostic assistance

Possibly losing Ne or G1 signal from CKS in distributor, maybe a bad connection in a connector, or ground source. See attached troubleshooting and use DVOM check resistances, then for power to and signals from distributor when cranking. Did have similar prob once with VAF plug causing intermittent drivability, but not starting problems. Unplug the VAF and see if it starts. If it does, plug it back up and note any changes (idle speed, RPM, Smoothness), and shake the harness to the VVanAF and see if the symptoms change. Let us know what you find.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
When it's running at its worst, do you get a check engine light? I can see this going in several different directions as far as what your problem is. Have you thought about a vacuum leak somewhere? A leak there will cause some of the problems you describe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it's running at its worst, do you get a check engine light? I can see this going in several different directions as far as what your problem is. Have you thought about a vacuum leak somewhere? A leak there will cause some of the problems you describe.

Yes, there is a CEL when it starts to bog down and when it seems to be running on fewer cylinders than normal.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes, there is a CEL when it starts to bog down and when it seems to be running on fewer cylinders than normal.
Do you know how to check what code is flashing? If not, it's actually pretty easy on these 1st generation MX6's, you don't even have to have the engine running. Let us know if you need anymore help with this step.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know how to check what code is flashing? If not, it's actually pretty easy on these 1st generation MX6's, you don't even have to have the engine running. Let us know if you need anymore help with this step.
My experience is mostly with pre 80's, carburated V8s and Aircooled carbed motorcycles so no, I don't know how to check a non OBD-II compliant cars. I can tune a four barrel carb by ear but an early 90's Mazda has me stumped... :frown2:

·
Registered
792 Posts
My experience is mostly with pre 80's, carburated V8s and Aircooled carbed motorcycles so no, I don't know how to check a non OBD-II compliant cars. I can tune a four barrel carb by ear but an early 90's Mazda has me stumped... :frown2:
Okay, look on top of the left strut tower and you should see two wires, one yellow ( fuel pump test plug ) and the other should be green, that's the one you will be working with. Take a piece of wire with a blade on one end that's small enough to fit inside the green plug and then take the other end of the wire ( an alligator clip would be useful here ) and ground it to one of the studs that stick up from the strut mount since it is so close to where you'll be working. Once you've secured both ends of the wire go ahead and turn the ignition key to on but again you do not have to actually start the car. After you turn the key to start look at the idiot lights at the bottom of the instrument cluster, the yellow CEL light should be flashing a sequence of dashes that you will need to count. If it's a double digit code there will be a pause between the first set of dashes and the second. You may have to watch the dash sequence more than once but it should make sense to you. If you have a factory shop manual use it to help you convert the dashes into coded numbers. I do not have a 1st gen spec B ( 90-92 ) manual so I can't help, but I feel strongly someone will come along at some point and provide you that info since I can't. I hope I've helped and not confused you too much. Btw, there's several threads on this site and on the internet in general that will give you both how to pull the codes and just importantly how to read them. You must use 90-92 spec B turbo codes. Good luck with your fix. There's not a whole lot of these old cars that can't be fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts