Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a coolant change about 2 months ago. I could not find the regular green coolant that I have always used. So I put in the Zerex for asian vehicles, says Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mazda on top.
I thought it was going to be the same coolant. But it was a much clearer emerald green. Website says this is the one to use, so I went with it.
Now I have a slight leak. Nothing on the ground, but have some spots on my transmission, and thermostat gasket seems to be turning green. Also there is a small dimple on the top of the radiator. I don't know what that is but I looked damp. So I put a paper town in there to clean it out and it was green.
All hoses and thermostat replaced about 3 years ago.
I would hate to see this coolant eat through a head gasket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Is it 50/50 mix or pure coolant?
Looks like pretty corrosive stuff. You could drop some out and add distilled water to make it less corrosive. But you should really dump it all, flush the system, use the same stuff you where using before and cross your fingers nothing leaks or got damaged.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a 50/50 premix. Maybe its just a thinner coolant, and gets past the hose to pipe seal right there. But I will do another coolant change and put in the old stuff when I can find it. I think we are having a shortage here because of supply chain issues.
The website also says the blue coolant would be best. I think it is similar to a Honda type fluid. But might be issue for some. Since our overflow tank is right next to the washer fluid reservoir. Not good to have the same color next to each other.
With the next change I will remove that small hose and use a Brillo pad or something to smooth out the pipe.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts