Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got coolant leaking out of my engine on the passenger side, it looks like its coming out of the bottom someplace but it's so ****ing cold and windy i havn't pushed myself to stay outside long enough to jack it up and see.

Im guessing that the problem is a freeze plug but im not sure of the locations of them to be certain. Anybody have a picture of them so i could check them out to see if they are the problem or not?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Probably a water pump, heater core hose, or intake manifold coolant hose.

Where exactly on the passenger side is it? "the bottom" is not specific enough to give you a very good answer. Check behind the engine near the firewall and check near the crankshaft pulley. You might need to run the car (to pressurize the cooling system) in order to see the leak.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Freeze plugs are small metal plugs about 2 inch diameter that fit in to holes in the block. During casting they help remove the casting material out of the block. When you hot tank a block at the machine shop they are removed and replaced. When I reinstalled mine they were a tight fit and (imho) it would take quite a bit to push them out of the block. Pass side by the shock tower probably a leaky water pump shaft seal (replace pump and Timing belt!) if you go in there. Most service places can pressure test the water system and find leaks.............................good luck

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah, when your water pump fails, it weeps coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timing belt was changed around 70,xxx and im at 109,xxx now. how much is that normally to replace, im on a kinda tight budget at the moment so im hopin its not a huge number. It only leaks when i have the car running and it drips down on the front of my pass. side crossmember.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gabe17 said:
timing belt was changed around 70,xxx and im at 109,xxx now. how much is that normally to replace, im on a kinda tight budget at the moment so im hopin its not a huge number. It only leaks when i have the car running and it drips down on the front of my pass. side crossmember.
If you do it yourself, very cheap. Cost of the parts plus your efforts and, it's easy to do. I'd suggest getting a Haynes or Chiltons Manual as well.
It only leaks when it's running because it has a 'weep hole' that's designed to do that when the part fails.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Gabe17 said:
It only leaks when i have the car running and it drips down on the front of my pass. side crossmember.
are you sure you don't just have a leaky lower radiator hose? did you look at it closely?

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im almost positive that its not the hose, the drip doesnt seem to be anywhere near it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok I would say 80% sure you have a bad water pump, leaking from the weep hole. You can reuse that T belt if money is really really tight (it should be like 30-40 bucks).Either way line up the timing marks before taking it off, check for cracks / missing teeth and mark it so that you can reinstall in the same direction of rotation. This is not a hard job, but would be no fun outside in the cold. Consider yourself lucky because when the water pump fails by locking up it takes the belt right out and (#1)stops you where you stand and you have to tow it home!
Just remember if you reuse that belt and it fails you get to do most of this work all over again. And you might get the above result(#1) also.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just went out and started the car again to check it out and its making a kinda loud winding type of noise so i would say u guys are right bout it being the water pump because it sounds like that would be it. i doubt it would make that noise from being a freeze plug

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
leak

Gabe17 said:
timing belt was changed around 70,xxx and im at 109,xxx now. how much is that normally to replace
Hey Gabe;
Apparently your water pump wasn't replaced when the T-belt was changed. It's usually good recommended preventative maintenance to do as much as one can when the motor's opened up.

With older cars, when replacing the T-belt, it's best to also do the water pump-tensioner-seals-etc. The labor process of getting to the parts is what adds up, as the cost of part's are incidental.

If you are capable of doing the labor, $100 should buy everything new. Otherwise, electing to have a repair shop replace only the pump, expect to pay about $200 for the job........maybe more depending where you go and what they end up "replacing".

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
88 626 2.2T said:
Consider yourself lucky because when the water pump fails by locking up it takes the belt right out and (#1)stops you where you stand and you have to tow it home!

i can still drive my car if wanted to but it would just leak coolant all over the place, unless the belt just hasnt come off yet, so does this mean its not my water pump then?

johnie - the 2nd owner of the car was the one who had the belt replaced otherwise i probably would have had that done.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
leaky water pump

Gabe17 said:
it would just leak coolant all over the place, unless the belt just hasnt come off yet,
so does this mean its not my water pump then?

Hey Gabe;
No......!, good chance that it is your pump, if you've checked elsewhere for possible leaks and found nothing apparent.

Usually worn-out water pumps give the warning signs of seeping coolant and sometimes noise from the worn impeller bearings.

The worst case scenario is if the pump's drive pulley decides to wobble loose and take out the T-belt. This happening could leave you stranded. In the meantime, keep an eye on your coolant's level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts