Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive tried looking all over forums such as CarAudioAustalia.com.au, but no one tells u the difference. they just tell u to search for info.

i saw some post of zorbs up there, he knows what im talking about..:lol:

well my bros got a pair of 12's. pioneer vccs. same as these ones..
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pioneer-VCCS-12-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ5824992455QQcategoryZ3292QQcmdZViewItem
my bro says he doesnt get enough thumping bass... is it because the box is not ported... or sumting... im like the total noob..
any ideas.

for more punchy bass he is going to buy 2 10's. and he is giving me the 12's. the 12's are around 2years old, so mayeb there was just worn out..

thanks guys :shrug:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
ported means you can get more power, because there isnt trapped air resisting the driver from moving....BUT....the trapped air is also a good thing because it acts as another suspension, making the driver spring back to its center faster.

so if you want heaps of chassis murdering volume then yeh ported is cool, but its not like sealed boxes are quiet and ive always gone with sealed cos i like the quality more than the volume.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Turbo626 said:
my bro says he doesnt get enough thumping bass... is it because the box is not ported... or sumting... im like the total noob..
any ideas.
oh just read that as well. yep hes a B4ZZ PHR34K so yeh go with ported if you really want that volume:shrug: lol its up to you mate

·
Registered
778 Posts
a sealed sub box will have a much deeper base note, a ported sub will sound more responsive. personally i prefer sealed. you could always but a sealed one and then port it if you dont like the sound.

·
Registered
665 Posts
stroker: ported boxes provide a deeper bass note compared to sealed.... u got it mixed around.

ported boxes are good for R'n'b, RAp.. anythiing with a slow beat.
if you were to get a ported and you listen to mainly dance, techno. you will hear overlapping of the beats, and you will hear it out of sync.
also ported boxes require bigger boxes

sealed boxes are good for tight bass lines, such as dane, techno, and also some rock music

i prefer sealed boxes as i want my boot space.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Ported are larger volume, so you need more boot space.
Ported are deeper bass.
I have found with my JL's that the freq range is also less when ported (I had 2xJL 12" and have both setups). But when you are in that range it is much louder.

Having said that, subs are only 1% of what you need to get good bass.
You need a decent built box, and proper design! (Big emphasis on this)
Decent amp (I have a mono block sub amp, pushing 200W RMS to each sub, too much power to the sub is just as bad as not enough)
Decent head unit.
Decent RCA cables, power cables.
Even mp3's can sound crappy sometimes compared to CD's.

If he has 2 12's and it sounds crap, it's probably something else... then again, I never really liked Pioneer, I have always been a JL fan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The speaker really determines what approach should be used...
some subs do better ported, some do better sealed... some can do both well. Have a look at www.diysubwoofers.org/ they have plenty of good info that explains the benefits of different approaches...

Also for best results find out the sub parameters and plug them into modeling software such as www.linearteam.org/winisd.html to figure out the volume, port size, etc of the box. A sub in a properly tuned box will sound its best...

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I have a sealed box. I was after quality, and not noise/volume. But like the other guys say, if you want the boom, port the box.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
another way to look at it is ported is best for your r&b rap type music where as sealed is better for you rock and dance music cause its more responsive..I goty ported cause I listen to R&B and rap alot....my gf bro has exactly the same sub in a sealed box and listens to rock and alternative shit alot..damn theres a huge difference...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts