Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did an i4 auto to v6 swap. Realllly long story short.

My car will be driving along at the moment, my radar dectector says LOW VOLTS, some dash lights come on, my tacho & speedo drops to 0, stereo goes all fuzzy, and this is progressive, I first noticed it 2 days ago, I turned my head lights off and the volts came back up and was ok. Today when I finished work the car didnt even start, so Im farely sure its the alternator...

My question to you guys IS... I ripped the alternator off of my 2.0L 95 auto, will it go onto the 2.5L KLZE Manual ?

i4 alternator == FS05
v6 alternator == K801

As far as I have been told the i4 one produces 10A less? Or do they just completely not fit ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Being the fairly major surgery your car just had.. id look @ a loose connection..

Perhaps terminal or the output/wire from the alternator ... or the regulator (both on the alt)

Just look @ the speedo connection..

I don’t know if they are the same are the belts the same width? And doesn’t the old klde have one on it? or is that it on the ze now?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
V6 = 90amps
I4 = 80 amps

And they are different... the V6 will apparently bolt to the I4, but has an extra belt notch in it's pulley for a wider belt.

Can't tell you if the I4 will bolt to the V6, but I wouldn't try it anyway for the lesser amps.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My V6 is incredibly picky about alternators, so now I recommend that anyone who has to replace theirs should go with the stock part or better. It's possible that my mechanic tried to put the I4 alternator in my car, since it ate three Autozone alternators in six months. Then he got a Mazda alternator from a dealership and I haven't had any more problems. But seriously, if the bigger engine is supposed to have a bigger alternator, why would you want to try and handicap it with less?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This car has just gone from being an I4 auto to a KLZE manual in the past fortnight..

And yea it think he is only looking @ using the I4 alt. because he has one.. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pretty much yeah... because as you probably know, i4 auto to klze manual isnt cheap, and now funds are really starting to run low, espcially leading up to christmas, gotta buy presents and blah blahhhh....

and yeah PK the klze didnt come with an alternator, so the klde one is already on there.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the car back this arvo, one of the wires was arcing, explains why it the power was on and off... he replaced it, and now Im back to a steady 13.9 to 14.3 volts, yay :)

only charged me $100 AUD as well, quite happy :)
You know what else made me happy, he set my clock inside my car back to the correct time... cos when I was doing my stereo I disconnected the battery, and obviously while he was working on alternator would of been disconnected, but yeah he reset it afterwards, thats what makes the difference eh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts