Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of rebuilding the motor and drive train in my RS/LS, gas mileage + black leather + foglights = sex

So awhile back I purchased a factory replacement style stage 1 exedy clutch and SS clutch line. I have my pick of either a probe or mx6 transmission for dirt cheap. Both have 30,000 miles on them and I know they both bolt on to my 2.0 FS-03. However, are they so similar that my exedy clutch (made for mx-6) will work fine with a probe tranny? id rather get the probe tranny for quicker 0-60 and less top end.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
141 Posts
im gonna go ahead and say yes it will work. i looked up several different clutches for probe and mx6, includeing exedy clutchs and they are all interchangable for probe and mx6. i think you should be fine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
cool deal, probe tranny it is. im broke so i cant get the engine to the machine till i get some mula. However, i got tired of watching the 6 just sit helpless in the garage. So im gonna at least finish pulling the motor out. Only have to pop the axles, remove nasty old motor mounts, and hook up the crane.

mjmazda saw sunlight for the first time in a year or more! Swept out the garage last sunday so i had to back out the six. Didnt have the key....(and the original key snapped in half on me after i put it in the garage)...So we jacked the front end up and pushed lol.

The 6 is coming back! HIDE YOUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!
In memory of...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Is this on a v6? The probe and mx6 trannys are interchangable. only difference is that mx6s came with a taller fifth gear. found that out my probe tranny sucks On the highway and no longer hits 150Mph.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read a while back that the probe had shorter gears better suited for acceleration down low. I knew that the top end would suffer, but i dont have any ambition of going 150 mph's. So is it true that the acceleration is better on the probe tanny? If not then MPGs and mx-6 tranny it is!

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I think the gears are of the same quality. The probe just has a different final drive ratio. The pgt accelerates faster than the mx6 but it loses power in the top end. I used to race a friend's PGT with similar mods to my car at the time. We would be dead even till 55ish and then I would pull away HARD. That is why probe owners switch to mx6 transmissions.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
I just read in a thread that the 4cyl transmission doesn't bolt to the 6cyl block, so the opposite would also be true. Be sure that you are buying a 4cyl transmission and that the clutch is for a 4cyl motor too because there is a difference in clutch between the 4 and 6cyl also iirc.

Also, just about all the specs you'll see on the diff between probe and mx6 transmissions will be for the v6, and I don't know if those differences translate over to the 4cyl also.

I seem to remember something about Protege tranny internals swapping into the 4 and 6cyl transmissions (apparently the tranny case is diff but the internals are swappable), so that might be another avenue you want to explore, ie the mazdaspeed protege tranny with lsd :)

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I switched to a probe tranny, I love the 0-60, but after that I cant get much :(

Im rebuilding the old 6 tranny soon :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
i have a probe tranny in mine.

i was damn good at launching it NA and i could pull a lot of cars with bigger engines until their top end.

i pulled a 05 GTO till 3rd and a 69 Camaro with an LT1 swap till about 90

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About what MPH did you start losing the top end battle? This is an interesting difference. I just went through hell deciding on idea for my intake manifold as well.... protege (corksport FS-ZE intake manifold with VICS) mainfold with MSD RPM control V.S. P&P aspec manifold. Decided on Aspec P&P.

Anyone else with probe tranny experiences feel free to chime in! If anyone has raced stock 6's, each having a diff tranny, against eachother let me know how it worked out.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Well with the 6 tranny I remember it had good consistent power all the way up to 110-120. But the PGT seems like its on steroids from 0-70ish. After however, it seems as though it struggles a bit more to reach higher MPH. This might not be true with all of the PGT trannies, but that is my case so far :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts