Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am fairly new to the aftermarket world of cars. i was wondering what are the differences between coilovers and using lowering springs. i know price is a big difference but what other differences are there if any. thanx

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i am fairly new to the aftermarket world of cars. i was wondering what are the differences between coilovers and using lowering springs. i know price is a big difference but what other differences are there if any. thanx
Main difference is that with lowering springs you cant lower the car very much until you run out of strut travel but, with seperate height and preload coilovers (which most of them are) you can lower the car and you wont run out of strut travel. Struts/shocks soak up irregularites in the road surface so when a car is to low with oem struts you have no travel left whick makes for a not so good ride and sloppy handling. There is much more to it then just this but, you get the idea :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
the other main difference is that coilovers are adjustable so you can adjust the ride height whereas with lowering springs your car is as low as the spring allows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
has anyone had any experience with ksport coilovers or tien coilovers. money is not an issue. just curious if they are decent quality. i have looked around and am thinking about using ksport GT pro damper system with upgraded pillowball advanced mounts. any other suggestions would also be helpful

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
those are both quality, you can't go wrong with either one
tien>>ksport

if you do some searching (as i've been doing over the past few weeks) you'll find a lot of damper problems with the k-sports.

I've actually talked to the official K-sport vender around here and they use the same damper system (which usually fails after about a year) for all types of coilovers. So even if you go with the highend k-sport stuff you're still going to have the same problems.

tiens are better but for the money, and as weaksauce (mike) will tell you, the AWR setup with Bilstein dampers is the best bang for buck coilover setup out there.

It will cost you about 2 grand but you'll never have to worry about them again.

AWR Racing, Inc. - Bilstein Strut Kit

you'll also want to get camber plates with this setup for the front :tup:

sound about right mike? ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
tien>>ksport
tiens are better but for the money, and as weaksauce (mike) will tell you, the AWR setup with Bilstein dampers is the best bang for buck coilover setup out there.

It will cost you about 2 grand but you'll never have to worry about them again.

AWR Racing, Inc. - Bilstein Strut Kit

you'll also want to get camber plates with this setup for the front :tup:

sound about right mike? ;)
Chyea.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts