Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I've heard rumors that the Aus 4WS steering wheel was Momo? Can someone confirm/deny?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
i ripped a turbo out of a white with blue int 626gt 4ws a few months back at a yard. it even had some nasty ghetto hard pipe's, and had been set up for nitrous. and it was an auto......

i got the front lower tie bar off the car and the 4WS center cap off the steering wheel.

this car DID NOT have the rear strut tower bar on it though, and it didnt look like it was removed at any point since all the nuts holding the struts were still there and still extremely tight and dirty. unless an old owner when the car still ran removed it, but i dont see why anyone would do that.
You could only get them auto. And only the way you saw it. White, white wheels, and blue interior. ;)

I have a spare timer box from a 626 4WS in the yards I found. I freaked when I saw it. Problem is it didnt work on my 6. Odd?I plugged it in and it didnt do a thing. Not even a 4WS light.

I removed the relays and mixed and matched them with my OEM timer box and stuff started working.
I think it would be weird that Mazda made them both different.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I got another one... Sorry for multiple posts, its easier for people to get answers.
From what I remember, 4WS models have an additional control box thingie on the end of the speedometer cable just before the transmission. I think we also have a different speedometer cable?

I remember I had lots of problems finding this when I pulled mine apart.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I got another one... Sorry for multiple posts, its easier for people to get answers.
From what I remember, 4WS models have an additional control box thingie on the end of the speedometer cable just before the transmission. I think we also have a different speedometer cable?

I remember I had lots of problems finding this when I pulled mine apart.
I think the speedo cables are the same, it just has the speed sensor on the box.

And are all the 4WS speedo drive gears metal instead of plastic? Thats the case when i've been pulling things apart in Aus spec cars.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Yea... thats the thinger I was talking about. Hahh!
I had problems finding the right cable for my car? Dont know why. The first 3 didnt fit.

The gear on my car is plastic I believe? Somethings reminding me that its from an NA Probe though.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I've heard rumors that the Aus 4WS steering wheel was Momo? Can someone confirm/deny?
Mine doesnt say Momo on it anywhere:shrug:

And are all the 4WS speedo drive gears metal instead of plastic? Thats the case when i've been pulling things apart in Aus spec cars.
My Probe also had a metal one:shrug:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Not 100% again.....
4WS A/C controls are push button was standard. I think the push button was an option on GT's as most Ive seen are slide control.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also, as I found out today, the 4ws has different rotors and wheel bearings in the rear. The wheel bearing itself is larger in diameter, while the rotor isd the same size, it just has a larger center hole to accomodate the larger wheel bearing.

And since the bearing has a larger diameter, the spindle on the rear of the 4ws is larger than its 2ws counterpart.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Seems the brake calipers in the rear is different too, can anyone verify this?

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I can try and measure to see why they are different tomorrow when its light out. Ill check on my 2ws and 4ws models both and compare.

i was really hoping that front lower tie bar would bolt up on one of my probes, or 626gt. sadly the holes are not there for it ont hem. but just from holding it up, all you would have to do is drill some holes, but dont think it would really be needed. who knows. maybe one day ill use it for something.
Sell it to me! Mine you can tell was chopped off. The ends are there bolted into the car, but the whole center section has been cut out :( (And the 4ws at the junkyard dint have it either)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I have twice replaced the rear calipers on the 4ws cars i have owned. Once on defilers 4ws car and recently on my 626 4ws. Yes they are different. I am not sure why or how. I did get a set of loaded rear calipers for only 150 for both. Funny thing is that the core was 20 more per caliper. GOod thing i only paid for them once (on defiler's car) so mine were free this time around.

How can i help you wibla? I wish i could steal your car......what pait color is that?

·
Registered
415 Posts
its 5A, stock mazda colour actually. I thought it had been white at one point, then painted blue, but it appears it wasnt. Must be a special order, or something else..

I checked the prices today, $430 per caliper for regular calipers, $390 per caliper for 4ws ones.. this was at a Mekonomen store in norway, not a mazda dealership. gonna check that tomorrow

21 - 40 of 73 Posts