Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hold of a practicly new cd player. I have a factory head unit and cd player I need to know how to get the radio out,I know how to get the dash out but I need instructions from there. And one more thing do I need a metal sleeve to install does it just slide in or what?
THANKS,
BRYAN

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you have a 2nd gen then you don't need to take the dash out. There should be 4 little rubber plugs ont he sides of the radio face. Pull htem out and you will be 4 holes. Just go by Pep Boys anbd get a Ford radio removal tool, it'll fit right in and you can pull hte radio out. As for putting the new radio in it should come with a harness and a sleeve. If it didn't then you will need to get one for that brand radio, as every manufacturer has there own design.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
radio

it is used so it didnt come with a sleeve when I get one will it just slide in? how much would it cost and the tool?
thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
488 Posts
The cost of the sleeve will vary on the manufaturer of the radio, or you might be able to pick up an extra at a local stereo shop for around $10. After you ahve the sleeve everything will fit in, you'll just need to get a wiring harness to adapt the lines from the radio to the plug in the car. The removal tool is around $10-15 depepnding on where you get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
install

do you need a metal sleeve to install this? does the radio screw in anywhere? an audio place told me that they would have to remove the dash to put it in,???? why would they need to/
Bryan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: install

they just bullshitting you, they want to charge you for the hour install. you can if you want, it just make it more easier to remove the radio. this what i would do:
-remove the dash
-after removing the dash there is 2 screws, you can't miss it
-stick fours tiny nials at each corner of the radio and then pull it out.
-you also need the sleeve (bracket) so that new cd deck wouldn't slide. if you don't have one then go to any stereo place and get one. any sleeve for the same brand will fit. for example if you have a pioneer deck, ask for any pioneer sleeve, it will fit. it cost about 5-10 bucks.

mx6-LS said:
do you need a metal sleeve to install this? does the radio screw in anywhere? an audio place told me that they would have to remove the dash to put it in,???? why would they need to/
Bryan

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
FYI i used removal tools from my moms saab 9000 turbo to pull my stocker

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is absolutely no need to remove the dash to replace the radio on your car. I actually laughed at a guy who's friend removed the dash on his 92 MX-3 to put the radio in today. Of course his friend also managed to blow the fuses to most of the lights on the car doing the radio. And he did this while using a wiring harness. No shop who knows anything about Fords or Mazdas is going to remove the dash as it's too easy to do it with the removal tools. Don't trust them if they sy tehy need to remove the dash. I run a shop for a living and I tell my customers what I'm going to do if they want to know. I still charge them the same amount, they are also paying for my experience and the that of the people who work for me, but there is never any need to lie or mislead them. That way they come back and spend more money later.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts