Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before you shoot me down i was too lazy to search ;)

What is the diffence between the 03 and ZE heads ? i know the ZE has higher compression (10.1:1) and the 03 around 8-9:1.

So is the compression determind by the pistons or the heads ?

While im here i might aswell ask diffence between 03 and ZE short blocks ? just the pistons ?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
WantFE3inGC said:
still dont awnser my question :(
Depending on year, the 03 was around 9.0 to 1, although the 93's may have been a bit higher.

The ZE pistons are in fact different, making up most or all of the difference in compression.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 03 and ZE combustion chambers are approx. the same size.

I do believe the only difference in the shortblock would be pistons.
-Garrett

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
The compression is in the pistons. The ZE have 10:1 while the KLDE is 9:2:1. The klze also have larger ports in the heads, same with the intake manifold, which flows alot better and the vris points are different than a klde.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
"still dont awnser my question "
Swaping heads does not change your compression

if i remember correctly the 03 heads are pretty restrictive over the ze heads. Do the ze heads have bigger exhaust valves??If i was going to run boost wouldn't I want to use and 03 block and swap in the ze heads and intake? or would the ze intake take away too much from the low end and I should just get a someone to open up the 03 intake?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
New head bolts and gaskets.
-Garrett

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys :) now im pretty much uptpdate with the 626/mx6 engines :D

cheers ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts