Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I needs to get some new tires for my 6...
question is.. why do I need to pay about 200.00(CAN) for each tire? my mechanic said I need to get the "V" directional tires? does this make sense to any one? please help.. is it neccessary to spend this kind of money on tires?

94mx6lsv6grn-stik
stainless cat-bak+magnaflow

·
Registered
29 Posts
tires

Hey do u have custom rims on the car? If u do then u will have to get a special tire. (low pro) If u dont have rims and u just have stocks then u can put any tire on there that fits the rim! All directional tires are is they can only be driven in that one direction that the arrow points on the tire. If u have the stock rims ur mechanic is just trying to make money off you he only pays half of what u pay for the tire and then he gets labor! Im a mechanic and tires are a easy way of getting cash!If there stock tires or on stock rims get the numbers off the side of the tire and u can go to pepboys or where ever and get yourself a set of tires for cheep..if u want better tires you will pay more!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The V is just to signify the speed rating of the tires. If I converted correctly, that is the equivalent of approx $130. That sounds a bit expensive to me. I'm assuming that you have stock 15" rims on your car. I paid $150 for 225/40 x 18" tires here. You don't have to stick with the exact same size. I put 195/65 x 15 on my car for the winter and they work just fine. I believe they were like $60 or $70 each and they hooked up pretty good.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the info.....
just one thing? do I have anything to loose, if I go with cheaper none directional tires? what do I have to gain by spending this kind of money on tires? is there enough benefit or value , by going with these directional tires..
thanx agin..

94mx6lsv6grn-stik
stainless cat-bak+magnaflow

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?

Anyone else have some feedback on this?
all help is greatly appreciated!

thx

94mx6lsv6-grn
stianless cat-bak+magnaflow

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: anyone?

Rufnek69 said:
Anyone else have some feedback on this?
all help is greatly appreciated!

thx

94mx6lsv6-grn
stianless cat-bak+magnaflow
Well, I'm certainly not a tire expert, but here's my take since you asked for it :D

Despite what the mechanic says, you can put any tires you like on your car as long as they clear the suspension, body and fit the rim dimensions. They don't have to be V-rated. The V-rating simply means that the tire compound and carcass are rated for speeds up to 149MPH. If you don't drive that fast regularly, you don't need V-rated tires.

Tires with speed ratings above 'T' are generally "performance" tires in every aspect. That is, you probably won't find many V-rated snow-tires. As such, they'll have stiffer sidewalls, larger tread blocks, softer compounds etc than garden variety all-season tires. Some have assymetrical tread patterns, like the Goodyear GS-C I use on my PGT, that have larger treadblocks on the outside edge for traction in corners and smaller treadblocks on the inside for wet-weather performance. Directional treads are almost always aimed at getting good water-pumping action from designs with large treadblocks (the Yoko A520 comes to mind.) Performance tires, because of their unique compounds and low-volumes, are typically quite expensive. IIRC, the GS-Cs on my rims are in the $225/ea range.

So, it's up to you, really. If you drive your car in all-season conditions and don't change the tires for winter, consider something like a Dunlop D60. If you drive year-round in dry conditions and like hard cornering, get a Yoko A520, Dunlop SP8000 etc. If you drive in alot of rain etc, consider getting something with smaller treadblocks and lots of siping; you'll lose a bit of ultimate dry-grip but will love them in the rain.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
sorta simple, but i got 205/50/15's goodyears and they look good and work great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plzz Help me out ...

hey hoe r u ?? actually i m kinda confused wid the tires selection i have GoodYear Gt 065 on my car 195/65R15 ....now they r in the condition to get changed and i want to go for some thing else like michelin , Bridgstone dunlop but i cant figure out which one is the best ..i need to put em on my car which toyota corrolla 1.5 Xe limited .... i went to look out for some and there i find Bridgstone G3 potenza dunlop sport 9000 and spsport300 ...now u tell whcih one shud i go for ..i personnally like the G3 but the problem is i never have used directional tires and G3 here r directional and here in our country u get to rotate the tires after 6 months ( I m talking tires rotation in which the freont tires and moved backward and backward r in move forward in diagonal)

tell me about the directional tires that in wat order are they moved in the rotation and wat do u think what shud i put on help me out ???Tires shud be soundless soft and gripppy ........... aiight thanks byebye

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plzz Help me out ...

hey hoe r u ?? actually i m kinda confused wid the tires selection i have GoodYear Gt 065 on my car 195/65R15 ....now they r in the condition to get changed and i want to go for some thing else like michelin , Bridgstone dunlop but i cant figure out which one is the best ..i need to put em on my car which toyota corrolla 1.5 Xe limited .... i went to look out for some and there i find Bridgstone G3 potenza dunlop sport 9000 and spsport300 ...now u tell whcih one shud i go for ..i personnally like the G3 but the problem is i never have used directional tires and G3 here r directional and here in our country u get to rotate the tires after 6 months ( I m talking tires rotation in which the freont tires and moved backward and backward r in move forward in diagonal)

tell me about the directional tires that in wat order are they moved in the rotation and wat do u think what shud i put on help me out ???Tires shud be soundless soft and gripppy ........... aiight thanks byebye

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Dude, you just bumped a 7 year old thread with a double post. Thats like a tripple-wammy.

PLEASE Look at the date of the last post before typing.

To answer your question, directional tires were made in an attempt to improve traction. It allows a shape that pushes debree and water towards the outside and away from the traction patch. For your personal application, i'm unfamiliar with tires in your size. You are better off going to tire rack and comparing the ratings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts