Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering what keeps water and dirt and all kinds of gross stuff off the filter if u have it under ur car??
and in the winter i imgain snow would get in there...right??
well i have been wondering this-cause i am just about to do my own CAI but wonder if it would get really diry

and one more question...what kind of fliter would i want to get if i did a 3'' pipe air intake-is there a certain name/number/type i should get??

well thanx

PT

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You just clean it more than most filters. if you get a K and N filter they sell a kit to clean and re oil the filter. later

·
Registered
475 Posts
i believe a little soap and water cleans them things out. AS for keeping out dirt and stuff I believe the filercharger oil that k&n makes has something to do with not letting anything stick to the filter.
Size doesnt make that much of a difference because u can just use the clamp clip to make it fit exactly wether its bigger or smaller than the pipe its connecting too.

How are u doing your CAI? custom or the hotshot?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Cleaning a cone filter is very easy. Simply remove it from the engine bay and spray water on it from the INSIDE of the filter. It's done from the inside so that whatever dirt, feathers, grime, whathaveyou, is attached to the outside of the filter as the engine was trying to suck it in, will be pushed back OUTSIDE. SO just spray the filter from the inside out with a hose or a steady stream of water. Afterwards, you need to let the filter completely dry. Shake any excess water off from it and let it sit in the sun or in a dry area. After the filter element is dryed, you must apply the lubricating oil on all of the threads of the filter. This oil will prevent the filter from sucking in any water/moisture. Actually it will still be able to suck it in, the oil will just make it harder. After the oil has been applied to all of the threads, let it sit so that any excess oil can fall off to one of the ends. Then wipe the excess oil off and reapply the filter on the engine compartment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts