Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Probe GT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 93 Ford Probe died out on me. The engine cranks but does not start. I've nailed it down to no spark from the distributor. (I tested 3 separate wires)

I've been looking around the internet for days and I cannot find any information that I need. The distributor rotor still spins but at quite a low speed, is this normal? I ask this because would such a low speed not create spark from the distributor? And is this low speed caused from a broken crankshaft, or a broken distributor? I also read online that the problem may be from the ignition coil. I just want to figure this out before I buy a whole new distributor, if the problem is much simpler like a rotor and cap, or much harder like a broken crankshaft.

I am fairly new to the whole automotive scene so bear with me haha, I have no automotive background and I'm trying to teach myself as I go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know about the low speed, the rotor does not turn fast when the engine is not running. You got voltage from the 3 wire set leading up to the distributor ? You can also check for spark at the spark plug. That should tell you if spark is getting that far or not getting there. Read up on working around a distributor before doing this. Look for any worn insulation in the small wires around the distributor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts