Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a distributor in my 93 MX6 w/2.5 liter v6, but I have read different accounts of install ,about setting timing to tdc before pulling distributor, but since it will only fit 1 way, what is the point? I am going to mark the head where the mounting ears of the distributor are so as to set the new 1 exactly where old 1 was, I am asking as I have never done it before, I have painted plenty, but never worked on a motor before. on a MX6, so I would appreciate some help to let me know if I am missing something. I will appreciate it very much, already have new PCM installed inside under radio, hoping new distributor will get it running again. Thanks again. Dave H.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well install was fine but the old distributor rotor I had taken off, decided it would go back on 3 different ways, so I thought after having no 1 cylinder up, and the old distributor rotor pointing at no 1 cylinder, everything would be fine but after inserting new distributor it pointed to the 9 o'clock position on the distributor, as it would only go in 1 way.I do not have a clue, pcm from flagship 1 is installed, but no start up. I tried, but since there is not many ,if any people on here anymore, I will have to have it towed to a repair shop for them to fix, I hate that as I know how that works after owning a body shop and car lot for 35 + years. Thanks for your help guys,I really do appreciate it very much.Dave H.And I did have the engine set at 0 degrees on the timing marks by the crankshaft, I forgot to put that in , in the post.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is not making a lot of sense. It is impossible for the rotor to be that far out of position, as the distributor can only be installed one way, as you mention. It is impossible to install a distributor 180 degrees out of phase.....unless you moved something between when you took the old distributor out, and put the new distributor in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well install was fine but the old distributor rotor I had taken off, decided it would go back on 3 different ways, so I thought after having no 1 cylinder up, and the old distributor rotor pointing at no 1 cylinder, everything would be fine but after inserting new distributor it pointed to the 9 o'clock position on the distributor, as it would only go in 1 way.I do not have a clue, pcm from flagship 1 is installed, but no start up. I tried, but since there is not many ,if any people on here anymore, I will have to have it towed to a repair shop for them to fix, I hate that as I know how that works after owning a body shop and car lot for 35 + years. Thanks for your help guys,I really do appreciate it very much.Dave H.
This is not making a lot of sense. It is impossible for the rotor to be that far out of position, as the distributor can only be installed one way, as you mention. It is impossible to install a distributor 180 degrees out of phase.....unless you moved something between when you took the old distributor out, and put the new distributor in.
No, I still had the old distributor in, and then I positioned the timing marks on 0, and had number 1 cylinder up, and when I went to put rotor back on to mark everything, I noticed the rotor would fit in 3 positions on the old distributor, 1 of them fit with it pointing to number 1 on cap, so I took distributor out, oiled new o ring on new distributor, and put it in, and it spun around untill it caught and locked into place, and the rotor is now pointing at 9 o'clock on distributor, all this time, nothing was moved, it was still in same place when I removed the old distributor as it was when I installed the new distributor.It turns over fine, just does not start/fire.Any ideas?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Set the crankshaft to TDC #1 piston. Then the rotor would be in the correct position for #1 piston (which if I remember it is around the 4 o'clock position). Then adjust the distributor base from there to line it up with where the rotor is..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Set the crankshaft to TDC #1 piston. Then the rotor would be in the correct position for #1 piston (which if I remember it is around the 4 o'clock position). Then adjust the distributor base from there to line it up with where the rotor is..
Well I have a question, when you have the motor pulley pointing at 0 °, the #1 cylinder should be up, but it goes around 4 times, doesn't that mean the distributor will be in 4 different places on distributor face untill it hits the combustion stroke, then the rotor should be close to number 1 cylinder on the cap?Anyway I am not good with electrical and the guy who is was just
diagnosed with cancer, my brother, but what could cause no spark to a 93 mx6 2.5 litre v6 after a new complete distributor, and new pcm, under radio, both brand new and still no spark, checked fuse boxes in car and under hood, all fuses are good, are there any fuse links anywhere I don't know about?
I am lost, my books tell you how to replace parts but no diagnostics to pin point the problem.I don't understand a multimeter, as everyone has different lingo about every part of it, and no one is the same so I don't what or how to test safely so as not to burn up any new components.Thanks for any pointers, or if this has happened to anyone else, let me know.Thanks Dave H.
member: 94752"]
[/QUOTE]
diagnosed with cancer, my brother, but what could cause no spark to a 93 mx6 2.5 litre v6 after a new complete distributor, and new pcm, under radio, both brand new and still no spark, checked fuse boxes in car and under hood, all fuses are good, are there any fuse links anywhere I don't know about?
I am lost, my books tell you how to replace parts but no diagnostics to pin point the problem.I don't understand a multimeter, as everyone has different lingo about every part of it, and no one is the same so I don't what or how to test safely so as not to burn up any new components.Thanks for any pointers, or if this has happened to anyone else, let me know.Thanks Dave H.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here is a photo of the crankshaft pulley. You can see the V notch on the back part of the pulley. Align that with the TDC mark on the engine. Now piston #1 will be at TDC. It could either be at the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.....you want the compression stroke. A way to tell is by following the #1 spark plug wire to where it attaches to the distributor cap. If the rotor is not pointing directly at that (or close to it which you then have to adjust), then it will be 180 degrees off (meaning it is on the exhaust stroke). To get it on the compression stroke, you would need to turn the crankshaft one time around until the TDC marks line up again. From there, you will have to adjust the distributor body position until the timing is correct. You will need a timing light to get the timing correct (correct position for a 6 cylinder is 10 degrees before TDC). I haven't done it in a while but I seem to remember the rotor will be about the 4 o'clock position when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
While you are at it, you may as well test for 12v voltage getting up to the distributor. If there is no voltage to the distributor, there won't be any current past that point. It is the 3 wire set going up to the distributor. Easy to test by using a test light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well install was fine but the old distributor rotor I had taken off, decided it would go back on 3 different ways, so I thought after having no 1 cylinder up, and the old distributor rotor pointing at no 1 cylinder, everything would be fine but after inserting new distributor it pointed to the 9 o'clock position on the distributor, as it would only go in 1 way.I do not have a clue, pcm from flagship 1 is installed, but no start up. I tried, but since there is not many ,if any people on here anymore, I will have to have it towed to a repair shop for them to fix, I hate that as I know how that works after owning a body shop and car lot for 35 + years. Thanks for your help guys,I really do appreciate it very much.Dave H.

No, I still had the old distributor in, and then I positioned the timing marks on 0, and had number 1 cylinder up, and when I went to put rotor back on to mark everything, I noticed the rotor would fit in 3 positions on the old distributor, 1 of them fit with it pointing to number 1 on cap, so I took distributor out, oiled new o ring on new distributor, and put it in, and it spun around untill it caught and locked into place, and the rotor is now pointing at 9 o'clock on distributor, all this time, nothing was moved, it was still in same place when I removed the old distributor as it was when I installed the new distributor.It turns over fine, just does not start/fire.Any ideas?
The old rotor button was worn so bad that it would fit on distributor shaft 3 different positions, all were wrong.The dealer said , when replacing timing belt, that it was so loose, that after the covers were removed, the belt almost fell of by itself!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts