Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
I was interested to find out what the first signs of the distributor going on the blink would be? everynow and then my mx6 is a bit lumpy when started almost as if its miss-firing for a few seconds and then its fine. Sometimes when its ticking over the revs drop a bit and i think its going to cut-out but it never does (yet) . Its well-looked after , i've recently done ht leads ,plugs dist-cap and rotor-arm but sometimes it feels slightly under-powered compared to the huge buzz i had first time i drove it, (maybe i've just got used to it? ). My mechanic uncle who works on it is always raving about how great the engine is and what a "fine piece of engineering it is" . Being as it is a fairly minor problem and intermitent he says there's nowt wrong with it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was going to say HT leads straight away as they break down and cause the faults you describe but then I read on and you've changed those so I would suggest a dizzy swap is in order.

If you have a j-spec import make sure you get a dizzy from another as they are different to uk ones.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Usual dizzy problem is a complete cutout, which will sometimes restart after a few minutes of cooling down... eventually, it will give out altogether..

Your problem "could" be dizzy related, but I would start with cleaning the throttle body, including the BAC/ISC valve.. then reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and pressing the brake pedal for 10 secs..
Reconnect the battery, short TEN & GND in the diags box and check the ignition timing with a timing light, then reset the idle speed to 650 +/- 50 rpm.. then turn off, and remove the jumper wire..

Take it from there.. but hopefully it will improve the situation..

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usual dizzy problem is a complete cutout, which will sometimes restart after a few minutes of cooling down... eventually, it will give out altogether..

Your problem "could" be dizzy related, but I would start with cleaning the throttle body, including the BAC/ISC valve.. then reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and pressing the brake pedal for 10 secs..
Reconnect the battery, short TEN & GND in the diags box and check the ignition timing with a timing light, then reset the idle speed to 650 +/- 50 rpm.. then turn off, and remove the jumper wire..

Take it from there.. but hopefully it will improve the situation..

John
Thanks for the feedback , i can give those suggestions a go, out of interest how long would a "dizzy" on the mx6 normally last? mine is a 1997 with 127k with almost full history, also i've noticed that probestore.co.uk which i use for parts do a nitrox (i think thats what its called) system cleaner for £7.99 ,
would that be worth a shot?
Cheers
Matt.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The dizzy problem was normally on early cars, and was changed on post 94 cars..

I'm not saying that post 94 cars won't ever get a problem, but it is much rarer.

All you need is carb cleaner in an aerosol.. use a small 1/2" paintbrush to give it a good clean.. The BAC/ISC valve can be unbolted from the throttle body, but as it is underneath, it may be better to remove the TB to make it easier.. and less likely to lose any parts.

The Nitrox stuff is probably similar to redex.. and goes in the tank.. not really needed much as petrol being a solvent keeps things clean anyway.. fuel that has been stood for a long time will go off, and can get gummed up.. not a concern for regular driving.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi , weird but the car seems fine now and i've done nothing, i did run the gauntlet with fuel a bit recently , it didn't run out but i had the light on for a
while , maybe it dragged-up some s--t from the bottom of the tank!
Cheers
MATT

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Glad it's running much better now.

John

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi , weird but the car seems fine now and i've done nothing, i did run the gauntlet with fuel a bit recently , it didn't run out but i had the light on for a
while , maybe it dragged-up some s--t from the bottom of the tank!
Cheers
MATT
I've had a similar issue where performance has been a bit poor and it would hesitate under acceleration when cold after changing gear but having used more fuel than normal last week, this weeks tank of petrol seems to have given me better performance.

I might stick a tank of bp ultimate in for a laugh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a similar issue where performance has been a bit poor and it would hesitate under acceleration when cold after changing gear but having used more fuel than normal last week, this weeks tank of petrol seems to have given me better performance.

I might stick a tank of bp ultimate in for a laugh.
A tank of BP ultimate ? don't you need a second mortgage for that?:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts