Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Distributor probs

704 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chaos14 
#1 ·
So i have already done the Hei mod and the car was running great not dieing anymore. And suddenly the other day i was backing out of my garage and my car just shut off but now it wont start back up. And it did the usual tacho drop for 2000rpms to 0. Do you guys think this is just the distributor just died or is it my Hei module? Also how do you know when the distributor is just completely dead.

#2 ·
It's possible that the ignition coil went bad, too. The HEI simply replaces the weak stock unit, but the coil is still stock, and still needs to work in order to generate spark. I believe a Haynes manual can walk you through troubleshooting the coil with an ohm-meter. The coil is replaceable without replacing the disty. Alternatively, you could use an external coil with the proper mods to the HEI setup.

#3 ·
Is there any way to test the external hei though

#4 ·
Also if i did go external coil what would i tell the parts guy i needed

#5 ·
anybody know what coil to ask for??

#6 ·
Testing the HEI - maybe some way is listed at PT.com where the original procedure lives. I don't know how offhand.

External coil details are at PT.com, too. I have a copy of the procedure linked at my site, too... it *may* be slightly out of date, but it works from what I read on the forums. You can check the forums to see if any more/better procedures have since been developed.

The coil is an "ignition coil". This terminology applies to the stock unit as well as the external. I am not sure how the internal stock coil is replaced, so you would need to consult a manual or something most likely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.