Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any damage happens to a distributor if the car is running, but 1 or 2 of the spark plug wires
is not attached to the distributor rotor.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In the case of our cars, I think it may damage the distributor, yes. I destroyed one distributor by disconnecting the plug wires, then cranking the engine to test compression. (I should have disconnected the distributor too.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same distributor in my previous engine for more than 15 years....always started, not a single problem.
Now with a replacement engine, 2 distributors have failed within 3 years. It is easy to knock off the spark plug #2 wire from the rotor cap when handling the air box. I did that a couple of times, don't know if that caused these failures. Also I thought it might be moisture getting inside the hood from heavy rains, but not sure about that either.

This last time, I could hear a clicking sound around the distributor shortly before it failed. Seemed like it might have been where the distributor is engaged to the camshaft, but hard to say. After installing the lastest distributor, the car started right up. Hope this doesn't continue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pvc valve and grommet are very close to where the distributor fits into the camshaft. The pvc grommet rubber deteriorates over time. I am starting to wonder if some of the distributor issues people have could be a result of some of that rubber coming loose, and interfering with that connection between camshaft and distributor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts