Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have any of you replaced the distributor in your cars yourself? I just ordered one for my 2.0 L 4cyl. Any tricks or cautions before I do the opperation? Or is it pretty much unbolt-bolt plug and play?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey! My distributor went a couple months ago and I also have the 2.O L. I know you were asking if anyone had done a done-it-yourself job, but I just got the mechanic to do it. It didn't take long at all before I was back on the road. Hope ya get her going dude! later:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
My little bro needs to replace his distributor and I was wondering how much it cost you to have the mechanic do yours. He got quoted like $800 to replace that and the O2 sensor. Sounded pretty high to me. Oh, his car is a '93 2.0 626

·
Registered
101 Posts
To replace the distributor is pretty easy. Just really bolts on and off. Just make sure to label the wires so they go back in the same place. If you know how to use a wrench you can chanbe oxygen sensors (at least on my car) I got them at Autozone, 60 bucks a pop (bosch). look around for deals on the distributor. i just checked autozone (www.autozone.com) 200 for the distributor and it has a lifetime warranty i believe.(for the 93 2.0 626)
Breogan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace the distributor in the green 626. I got mine at Checker, it was about $175 after returning the core. Replacement went smoothly despite my use of a Chilton's manual. A word of caution, be careful to keep it in time. Note the location or angle of the rotor before you remove the distributor. Mark or scribe on the adjustment before you remove the bolts that hold the distributor assembly so that you know where to set the new distributor when you put it on. Make sure that the rotor is in the same position as it was before you removed the assembly. Plug it in , put the rest back together and you should be ready to rock-n-roll. I really should check the timing with a timing light. but the car is running great and getting decent gas milage as installed.

Mike

Now I gotta replace those noisy strut bearings!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts