Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed many users here mentioning they used the haynes or chilton manuals to service their cars. My advice : throw these away, go to the mazda dealer, and pick up the REAL shop manual for your year mx6/626. Yes, they are expensive (mine cost me close to $100!) but they are WORTH IT! These manuals from mazda are 100 times more accurate and concise to your year of car and it's optional equipment. The problem with haynes/chilton manuals is they try to cover too many different models/years of mazdas, and as a result, many important details can be lost in the process. I have a chilton manual here that covers 1990-1993 323/Protege/Mx3/Mx6/626/Miata. This is ridiculous! There are many differences between these models of cars. Anyhow, I'm not saying the Chilton/Haynes manuals are useless, I'm just saying that the mazda mx6/626 shop manual is far better, and not to mention much BIGGER.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah I saw those.

I bid 30.00 on the '89 one but it went up past that so I gave up on it. I just ordered a new one from the dealer. They have 2 versions, the dealer version, and the consumer version. The dealer version is 75.00, the consumer version is 50.00, and if you want the dealer wiring manual it's 55.00. I got the Consumer version - it's the smaller sized one which was on Ebay. It has to be sent special from the publisher so it'll take a week.

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh cool. I had no idea. I figured all you could get from mazda was the stupid user manual. sweet man, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
got mine from a local used book shop, best 25$ I ever spent.
Its about 2" thick, kinda looks like an mx6 bible.

Gavin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys from what I've heard...if you get the Haynes/Chilton manual to the 1st gen Probe instead...it focuses on that car only and doesn't wander off to other cars(since there was only one care ever like that in the Ford stable).
However, that being said I have the Factory service manual and I love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone have a shop manual for te 89 MX-6 . I have a GT 4WS. Perhaps I could "rent" it for a few days?? I would return it in the same condition I received it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Maybe he's been taking advice from Sick and searching... :)

Quite funny, I wouldn't have read this otherwise - and I sympathise with magik8, my brother got a Chilton's for his Prelude... it covered THREE GENERATIONS of Prelude, AND Integra/Accord/Civic?! HOW the HELL do you cover that much accurately? Same for the 323/626/MX3/MX5/MX6, how can you go from advice on a 1.6/1.8L RWD 2-seater convertible to a 2.2L FWD 5-seater sedan accurately?

Stupid Chilton's.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sometimes it's refreshing to go over old news again though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yah so anyway... Im sure you are all getting tired of reading my posts by now but does anyone have one to "rent"? I can "convert" it to an electronic format in exchange for renting it... I like to take manuals scan them, and then OCR them and 99% of the time, it works so well that you can search by keyword and find the page within seconds.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Why do all that work by hand? There's plenty of electronic copies around, you can BUY it from the psychos with the ugly board (clubmx6.com), but someone had them around here too, I just can't remember whom.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ooooh reminiscing... :)
I still haven't found a copy of the 4WS supplement but I'm too lazy to use the search button, and I'm not too worried about the light flashing...

·
Registered
56 Posts
That will do for my needs, but I could do a better job and it would be ocr-able. What Id do is remove all the pages, scan them front and back, save it as a pdf by chapter, then OCR each chapter so a quick text search could be done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts