Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Being a person from an electronics and embedded software background, this project looks quite interesting. The hardware and software are all there to look at, and it appears that these people have invested significant time into developing them.

The system really isn't that complicated if you look at the schematics and the software on the website. A lot of the hard work has already been done in the software using various fuel-injection formulas and theory. You basically just have to tweak the parameters.

I think the complicated part would be tuning the system. Luckily, tuning is done via a Windows program that communicates with MegaSquirt using a serial cable and re-flashes the processor's memory on-the-fly, which is pretty damn cool. There would definitely be a lot of tweaking that would need to be done to get it running right, though. Also, I would question wether the existing OEM ECU might do a better job in the end. Remember that MegaSquirt is only a fuel controller; you have to either use a different spark control unit or try to incorporate MegaSquirt with the stock ECU.

The construction of the PCB would take a considerable amount of time and effort. Not anything impossible though. The directions appear to be quite good and the resources are there. I say go for it if you're up for a challenge! It would definitely be a good learning experience if you've got a project car and some free time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I personally have been looking into the MegaSquirt for awhile now and will be getting one for my FE3 project. It comes with a corvette map and it seems guaranteed to get any car started. Like magik8 said you have to tweek the map. I find the hardest thing about the MegaSquirt is that theres not many people that have it on our Mazda's, so your kinda on your own. Meaning with the SDS,EMS,Haltech, and etc. You can ask some of the guys on this forum questions. But I'm going for it anyway.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
marriage made in heaven

seems like a natural for the "turbo my lx" masochists like Dex.:D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to admit acting like a noob and not searching before posting but I was pretty sure that this link hadn't appeared here before.
I myself don't have any use for that device at the moment but I was thinking more of the guys who are having hard time with their FE DOHC projects. Maybe that could be a bit less expensive way to get them running?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts