Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the Australian version of the MX6 have a Check Engine Light? We are using the OBD-I arn't we?

·
Registered
672 Posts
From what Ive been told, we dont have an CEL but we use our indicators to determine the CEL codes.

Correct me if im wrong in saying this??

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nope, my car definetly doesn't have a CEL. From what I remember from Julian's site, you need to use an LED to read codes if you don't have a OBD reader.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It amazes me that mazda does not even include this feature is the AUS models. It would of cost them nothin to add it in and problem cost them more to remove it.

Is there a way to check if we are using OBD-I or II?

G

·
The same situation exists with the MX-5/Miata - the US guys get a check engine light and we don't. But there is a way of extracting the codes in the same way, you just need to make a light from a LED and a resistor...

check out this link from NZ - http://www.mx5club.org.nz/maintenance/engine_diagnostics/

I'm not sure if you guy have a similar DIAGNOSTICS module in your engine bay but it should give you a start - btw this only works for ODB1, for OBD2 you need a special code scanner.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There seems to be a bit of a prob, it says that 2000ohm resister is needed to create the CEL, which it may need but on the picture it has a 1000 ohm resister (colors brown, black, red = 1000 ohm)
while a 2000 ohm resister would be red, black, red.

Which do we use to create???

By the way the +/- 25% still doesnt do it right.

G

·
jeezus Voodoo, if you know that much about 'tronix you should be able to figure it out...

with the appropriate LED current and voltage spec I'm sure you can make it work... it's a 12V supply (B+ = battery positive terminal, FEN earths the other terminal).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sorry i just thought ide be a smart ass....all the resister is doing is making sure the led doesnt blow.

2000ohms is only going to make the LED shine a little duller...

Im just being my usual prick...dont mind me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for the info Matty, I went out of my way to make a CEL diagnostic device as instructed from your site and tested it on my 2nd Gen MX6.

Sure enough the baby works, it pulled out a few codes with ease.

I used the 1000 Ohm resister instead of the 2000 Ohm if anyone is interested also I used a mini LED instead of the regular size ones available...I had a few laying about.

So people if you need to pull codes i suggest to make one of these nifty little things coz they do work perfectly

Approx time of construction: 3 minutes. (soldering iron had to heat up and i needed to find the wire cutters)

Level of Difficulty: Grade 4 Child could construct it with parent suppervision (due to hot appliance).

:)

G

·
So what codes did you get? what's wrong with your car?

Glad to hear it works on other cars too! must be running the same engine management system!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I pulled 3 Codes 15, 17 & 24

Ive checked the codes it seems Ive got O2 sensor issues...

I havent reset the computer to see if they are just one off things.

Ill do that this evening and see how I go.

By the way 02 Sensor, can i get away with not replacing them...Or could i cause major probs?

·
Registered
362 Posts
by not having working o2's, you'll lose a bit of econemy, a bit of power, and the incorrect mix going down your exhaust can foul the catalytic converter. they're not too expensive, and pretty easy to change, might as well do it yourself. do a search in the aus forum on probetalk, was a discussion about o2's a couple months back that had prices and vendors in it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cool...thanks for the info, if it needs to be changed after i reset the Comp ill get onto it ASAP

·
Registered
672 Posts
Great Idea Woo....dont think anyone will object to it being there...

By the way after resetting the Comp and running my baby for about half an hour i did the Malf test and got no codes, so she must have been a one off...

Im glad I dont have to worry about o2 sensors for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts