Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this sucks! I have not driven my car for a long time. I went out and started it , and went to roll down my power windows, they went down real slow and would not go back up with out me helping them. I decided to take off the door panel. As I was taking it off I noticed that the rubber seal across the bottom of the window on top of the door panel was ripped and folding in. I thought this was the problem so I tugged on it and it ripped. That was not the problem. I took the panel off and greased up the tracks and now the window is working fine. As I was putting the panel back on I broke one of the top plastic riveted clips next to the window and door lock. Does anyone know if I am able to replace the rubber seal as well as the plastic riveted clip or will I need to replace the entire door panel. If I am able to replace just the clip and the weather seal, how do I do it? Thank You, JR

·
Registered
78 Posts
this is why i love working in a body shop. those clips are a dime a dozen... just goto a bodyshop in your area bring a buck and buy one from one of the technitions... failing that, schucks, or autozone should have somethin like that... the rubber seal? mabey goto a boneyard and rip that one off and staple it on to yours, im pretty sure the're just stapled on.

Of course the picture in my head of what your talking about is probably alot different than yours.

·
Registered
78 Posts
or just drive up to seattle, goto Huling Bro's Body shop in west seattle (huge dealership) come see me, we'll fix it up. besides ive always wanted to take alook at the 4ws setup.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nate dawg i will have to do that come up to seattle but not for a month or 2. i just move here from utah and havent ever been to seattle. what do u thing you would charge me to fix it

·
Registered
78 Posts
well i was thinking of something different, but mind you, there is nothing an able body cannot fix... This might be somethin i would have to see to "evaluate"... but if you are stumped withthe rivit thing, they sell riviter tools at homedepot, they usualy come in a kit with a whole mess of different rivits.. about $30... sorry i cannot be really helpful and give detailed instructions, but i honestly thought you were talking about something way different.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well hey thanks anyway,but i do need a paint job some time in the future .imy car was left at my brothers house for like a year and it got lots of dent and ding and the a$% H*&^ HIT THE CAR WHERE SOME BONDO HAND BEEN AND BROKE A BIG CHUNK OF BONDO OFF OF IT.so i need the body work and it painted in the future i was thinking of take a class to learn or maybe trying to find some one to teach me.but it is beat up for having only 88000 mile on it.well thanks J.R.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
beat up @ 88k

With a GT 4WS, it's well worth investing some $ into with that low of mileage. I'd recommend replacing the "bondo" body panel with a new one prior to painting.
As with the door interior panel, it would probably be simpler just to buy another good used one and put it on. You may be able to temporarily rig your old panel to work, but I doubt that it will ever be right on top.
Check the site's "For Sale/Wanted" Forum along with some local wrecking yards. Find out what model years of GT interchange, as someone on here or a yard guy may have a line on one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the body panel is the rear quarter panel by the rear tire.ya i would like to make a nice car again.the only reason i have kept the car is because of the 4ws my dad keeps telling my to sell the car he say it is a piece of s%^&.but i just dont want to part with it .I would like to get it painted but i dont have the mony right now.How much is a good paint job anyways?i just wish i new how to do body work and paint then i could just do it myself and save a lot of money,and be as anal about doing everything rightand good .i am just trying to do what i can to make it a better car.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Hang on to it !

If nothing else, keep it in good mechanical order until you get the money or skills to improve on the appearance.
A GT @ 88k is worth your patience. Post a pic of the rear quarter if you can. If it's only cosmetic, you may be able to temporarily spruce up the body.
Minor bodywork isn't that difficult to learn. Some bondo to fill the booboos, sand it smooth to follow the body contours, prime 'n spot paint ! Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to make a big improvement.
Maaco and Earl Shieb paint shops can paint it up for less than $500. So start saving up some money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Hang on to it !

johniebgoode said:
If nothing else, keep it in good mechanical order until you get the money or skills to improve on the appearance.
A GT @ 88k is worth your patience. Post a pic of the rear quarter if you can. If it's only cosmetic, you may be able to temporarily spruce up the body.
Minor bodywork isn't that difficult to learn. Some bondo to fill the booboos, sand it smooth to follow the body contours, prime 'n spot paint ! Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to make a big improvement.
Maaco and Earl Shieb paint shops can paint it up for less than $500. So start saving up some money.
u
Not to be an ass, but he did say a good paint job :) if you pay 500 dollors for a paint job dont expect anything more than the car just being one color... there will be runs, overspray, bad tape edges all over your seals. if you really want a decent paint job expect to spend just around 2000... 2500 if you have a fair amount of body damage...

Also last i hear earl sheib went out of bidniss.. otherwise i would recommend them... but hey, give it a couple of months and ill have my new house and shop finaly set up, then we can talk paint jobs:) airbrushing flames, skulls and dead hookers is extra though :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
"good" paint job

jroreilly84020 said:
I would like to get it painted but i dont have the mony right now.How much is a good paint job anyways?i just wish i new how to do body work and paint then i could just do it myself and save a lot of money,and be as anal about doing everything rightand good .
Hey guys;
Yeah, Natedawg's point is well taken, but my thinking was based more on dealing with a limited budget. Furthermore, comparing to an amatuer's attempt to refinish a car, Maaco and some other shops do offer an alternative.

This is particularily true if a person is not wanting to spend more money on a paint job than the car's actual value.
But in all reality, the low mileage GT with 4WS is probably worth every cent of a truly "good" paint job. So, as I said "Save up your money !"

·
Registered
78 Posts
this is not me argueing with anyone. but i must say, i painted my first car not knowing the least bit about paint! the only knowledge i had is what i asked the girl at the paint store.. Well 6 years later, no rust, still shiney, and reasonably smooth... you'd be supprised at what you can do.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=578981

I hate these free services. my web permissions are all messed up at digital-gangsters.com...

The bug was my first paint job! really i had no idea what i was doing

The porsche was after i had been working in a shop for about a year. mind you, I painted this car the morning after my shoulder sugury, i was still on general anistetic when i sprayed this...

This is my commuter mx6, factory paint, well most of it. got the screen over the rear view mirror, dvd under the seat, biggass maglite over head :) this is my caralarm..

soon i will post some of my recent work... now that i have about 5 years experience, ill get some pics of my airbrushing.. I have a fire extenguisher that is painted woodgrain, done with an airbrush free hand... ill get pics soon..

·
Registered
78 Posts
ohh btw.. i sold the porsche... here's a car selling trick i learned, go to the nicest house in the area, park in the driveway at sunset and take pictures the idea "own a piece of this life" it worked for me atleast... and yes it does say "do us all a favor steal a honda"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts