Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do subs hit unusaly hard in 2nd gen Mx-6's? People have asked me what size my subS are, when i only have one 12. I've even put my stuff in my friend's cam and doesnt even come close. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe its the shape..maybe cause i dynomatted mine out. Dynomatt amzaing stuff. 35$ per roll. Buy like 2-3 rolls get the trunk and the back panels, if you have any kinda rattle.. poof gone. I think it hits harder too.. but it def helps that the back seats fold down! Wadda think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is this little thing called Transfer Function.

Basically when you put a box, your box, within another box, your car, the bass response changes quite dramatically. At a quess something like a 12dB lift at around 50-70Hz. This is an amazing thing as it can make a crap box sound louder.

When you put a box outside in open air with no surrounding walls, the so-called BRANDED boxes tend to sound really crap. I like this because I make boxes that sound good outside in open air with no walls because I know that when put in a car they are going to blow people away.

What you are experiencing is the fact that different cars generate different levels of Transfer Function and in some cars this can make a big difference to how two cars with the same equipment can sound so different.

I doubt your Dynomatt is making that much of a difference, what it will do is make the box ie your car, a bit more rigid and thus vibrate less and thus you hear the music rather than the box or your car. Incidently Dynomatt, contray to popular belief is not the best of sound deadening material and it most certainly is one of the most expensive. For those in the UK, there is a material that looks the same if not better, works better and cost 70% less than dynomatt and is readily available across the country from the "Brown Brother Motofactors" company.

When you put your seats down, you change the box parameters of your car, you also allow the air from the speakers to be coupled with the air in your cabin space, this will make the perceived bass in your car seem quite overwhelming.

Transfer function is what helps a lot of people create street cars that they think everyoone else wants to hear.

But remember this Bass can only be in one place at a time, do you want it in your car or outside, because when I drive down the motorway, I do it from inside my car not outside on a skateboard.

Enjoy your music, the 2nd gen MX6 sound good in any case, I brought mine almost soley for that reason.

G

·
Hey! Where do you get this "dynomat" stuff from? I live in Canada. Please help! It sounds like just the thing I need!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get dynomat at almost any car stereo place. I got mine at best buy. Theres all different kinds i recomend the extreme. Put it inbetween the metal in the trunk to kill anoying trunk rattle. Behind the licence plate, around all the speakers on the metal side, and where i was finding the most rattle on my car were the two side pannels in the back. You'll get clean crisp bass insted of a rattle box. Def worth the 60 beans.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I definately agree with you about the 2nd Gen MX-6 sounding unusually awesome with subwoofer boxes. I've got 2 10" Kenwoods in a small-box in the trunk powered by a 150watt x 2 amp. Beautiful Sound!! I should probably buy the dynomat stuff too cause man does my car rattle when it hits hard. Do you find yourself hearing the car rattle while you're listening to your music inside the car, though?? I've noticed that while I'm in the car, the music seems to overpower any rattles that may be present. Just curious, but what kinda head unit and full-range speakers do you have in your car? I must be a Kenwood fan or something cause thats what all my components are. I went with factory sized speakers cause I wasn't all about modifying the car so I got 6x8" Kenwood 3-ways in the doors, 6x8" Kenwood eXcelons in the rear deck and a Kenwood KDC-115 CD receiver. Am planning on buying the KDC-516 CD Receiver and adding a 2nd amp to power my full-range speakers better than the head unit can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pioneer

I use the pioneer ph2000 45 x 4 headunit.it gives a nice sound for the price. I left the front speakers and tweaters but changed the 6x8's in the back to pioneer. Kenwood gives a nice sound too if your willing to pay for their higher line products, im kinda hurtin for cash so...are you amping your speakers? cause that would sound nasty in an 2nd gen mx6 along w/ the sub. I used to hear alota rattle and i also just found myself just turnin up the bass to over power it. I found the rattle comming mostly from the trunk and the back side pannels. Now that i dynomatted it the only rattle i get is when i put the seats up in the back, but usualy i just leave the seats down cause who can fit in those seats anyway!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

i hate dynamating!!! hehe. did it in my jeep and made a huge difference. the best place to buy the stuff is http://www.mcmaster.com the exact same stuff as dynamat, but without the dynamat name and the price gouge. hopefully you guys can find it on the site. its kinda a bitch to find. hehe, good luck.

SolarSlash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts