Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the transmissions on ATX MX6's go out alot? I will get a tranny cooler. Ever since I heard about it on this forum I am very careful on driving, I dont floor it, chicken shift or anything....

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
They're pretty sensitive to proper fluid replacement. Heat is also a major issue for them.

If you got the car used, you should try to find out when the fluid was changed last, or just go ahead and change it. The cooler will definitely help you there though.

My only experience with one is in my brother's 98 626 4 cyl, but he (like a dummy) never got the fluid changed. It died around 80K.

Tyson

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have heard alot of critisizm about the FORD ATX in these cars. Since my parents haved owned FORD products most of thier lives I always remember an ATX going out in these things especially the 1990 + models. Maybe its just poorly designed or just bad luck. Im glad I have the MTX

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think the problem is also when mazda came out with the 626 in 1987 with a 4 speed auto. they had relentless problems with them, before that with the 3speed auto. they were built pretty strong.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The last generation (2.2L, 88-92) cars had Mazda transmissions I believe, as did some early 626s/ MX6s (93s). The later cars to present have Ford transmissions.

Tyson

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just had my ATX replaced, cost me 2500 AU$, with it I made sure I got a cooler put on.

Ive heard so much bad talk about the ATX in the MX6, but I think proper maintenance and care not to mention a good cooler helps in making sure she doesnt die.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the automatic transmission replaced last year in my 1998 626 . Thank god it was covered under warrenty. Sadly enough the damn thing is still a little off already, again. Seems like they're just poorly designed. The Manual tranny, in my mx-6 on the other hand is great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts