Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my friend just got a Jetta GLS 1.8 Turbo(manual) i was wonderin if u think my L4 auto could beat it. Here are its stats--- 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 7.8 16.1 87 Manual

Considering if i power break

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
SURFDUDE575 said:
Hey my friend just got a Jetta GLS 1.8 Turbo(manual) i was wonderin if u think my L4 auto could beat it. Here are its stats--- 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 7.8 16.1 87 Manual

Considering if i power break
No.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well considering you're in the range of 9.1 and 16.4.... no. *Scenario*... he will take you off the line and you will never catch up.

G

·
surfdude

if you have a gt answer is yes..you can take him stock for stock.. if you turn up the boost and he does too, you will blow is ass away...

yes.. you could take him... reason being is because i have a heavily modded 89 GT and a 2001 1.8T...but i've driven it with the boost down..

·
Registered
135 Posts
my friend just put a chip on his 2001 gti 1.8 turbo... amazing what a 500 dollar chip can do for those cars. he got it dynoed at the place he got it installed... i believe he's at 220 horsepower right now.

G

·
hey 4banger93

i have a 2001 jetta 1.8t and a 89 mazda GT...

Its amazing what a 500 dollar chip wont do on that VW,,, it has severe traction problems and can't even handle putting down 200 lousy HP to the ground, let alone it has annoying traction control that defaults to ON and you have to turn off just to see the wheels spin with 200HP... thats rediculous,, my mazda mx6 GT pulls with no wheel spin and it's got nearly 300HP... whats up with VW,, i'm totally annoyed, and i want my 99 jetta TDI turbo diesel back ,, cause with a chip it was way better than my lousy 2001 1.8t...

that car sucks and there is no way in hell that tiny stock turbo will product 220HP,, it's more like 190-200at best...

Also for you to get like 240HP wow! stock cars come with that...you would have to spend like at least $2500 bucks on the jetta,, for a still too small K04 turbo... I wanted closer to 300HP with my 2001 and when i was told that just aint gonna reasonably happen, i just got pissed off,, plus the gear box is not supposed to be able to handle it either...

by the way i wouldn't put it passed your automatic to make a good run for the 1.8t cause it only has 150HP.. and You might be able to get him with your superior transmission and shifts...

later

·
Registered
135 Posts
all i know is that my friend let me take his GTI for a drive, and i was pretty impressed. his only modifications are a cat-back exhaust and the chip. the chip was built and installed by some audi tuning company in ohio. i don't see the claimed 220 horsepower to be inaccurate. acceleration-wise, i could not tell a difference between the GTI and a 1993 RX7. as for the traction problems... when i was driving it, once the turbo spools up, the wheels want to break loose in 1st and all the way through 2nd. i don't know if the traction control was on or off...

my point is that with a few mods, this gti is a LOT faster than almost everyones car around here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts