Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Do you think we should have a 4WS sub-forum?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
time is right

64% say yes.

How much longer, Panther?

·
Chillin'
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
SleepCounter said:
64% say yes.

How much longer, Panther?
OMG! OH um... yeah, okay well 'goon didn't like the idea to wee and he's the onlt one that can make new subforums so talk to him. And youngbecker's vote doesn't count anymore either.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
MSGT-R said:
Panther.... I'm gonna slap you silly. :urg:
Me and Sleepy spend a large amount of time answering 4WS questions. Just check the history logs. I think that establishes a need.

Sleepy, back me up here Sugardaddy...:E
Well, I guess if 'goon doesn't like the idea, it's a non-starter.

Doesn't matter what the usership thinks (or needs), I guess.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
update

I have pmailed 'goon and asked him what is required to make this happen. I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
4WS trouble diagnostics -- Can't we put this in the correct area?

jroreilly84020 said:
my 4ws does not work it comes one and off so I took the fuse out under the hood but I would like to find out what is wrong with it
Seems to me that if you pull the fuse, you get the 4WS light going full time. After while it will burn out, I suppose.

Is the light going on and off at random or does it give some blinking codes (just like the CEL)?

If it is giving a regular series of blinks, there are diagnostics built in which relate to the number of flashes. Check out this post for diagnotics

If the flashes are random, I would bet on the timer module, found under the (North American) passenger side seat. Check to see that it's firmly plugged in and has not corrosion either on the plug or the connection of case to ground.

IIRC, the timer module is available from Mazda, albeit at a very prohibitive (~$240 CDN) price.

Before spending that kind of coin, I would be tempted to unplug it and take it apart and check out the board (it's just a little bread board with a few resistors and capacitors soldered on -- you could probably fake one up out of Radio Shack parts and transplant the plug) and the components.

Or wait until MSGT-R comes up with her timer-bypass module.:D

By the way, if you unplug the timer module, nothing bad happens to the steering -- it just stays in 2WS mode all the time. Plus the dash light doesn't shine continuously.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
8 out of 10 times the timer relais under the seat goes bad..u can try when u gently tap it with your fingers and see if the light goes on and off.
we had it with 3 4WS cars here. and on all those the controle unit under the seat had bad weld/solderings.
other thing which can cause problems is the switch in the steering rack..some sort of dimmer switch.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
SleepCounter said:
Or wait until MSGT-R comes up with her timer-bypass module.:D
Thanks for the memory prompt :E I'll get to it this weekend (in between the Goldwing and the Echo) :urg: I'll pull out the EWD book and the stash of harness plugs I have.

The car won't be back from Denver until next week...

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
4WS timer

jroreilly84020 said:
well I tapped the box under the seat and the light went off but now it is back on again so can I buy the relay for it or do I take the bax out and see if something needs to be solderd
Seems to me the timer module costs something like $245 CDN from Mazda (around US$200).

I chose to track down a used one when mine gagged.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Last time I bought one, it was $50.00! (the computer was $500)

Hang in there, the car is back. I'll grab the wiring diagram book and I'll fiddle with the problem this weekend. The timer is nothing but a relay box. One ground and several 12 volt inputs/outputs, and a circuit board with one IC chip. Its only value is to delay system shut down after the removal of power input for approximately 4 seconds (key off). All other functions are in the 4WS computer under the other seat. I think the Japanese were thinking in terms of safety for some odd reason (?). If the key is off, you're gonna loose it anyway :shrug:

41 - 60 of 114 Posts