Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Tokico blues are the same as stock struts

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to know how these will ride compared to stock suspension. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
They definitely have more rebound and compression dampening than the OEM Tokicos. Especially if the OEM ones are worn :)

It's not uncomfortably much. As a word of warning, I would stay away from the red springs packaged with the kit. I felt that they did not provide nearly enough increase in rate for the decrease in stroke. I was hitting the (modified to be shorter even) bumpstops way too often. The rear springs also settled to so short that they had less than 0 preload at full droop, which is a very dangerous condition where the spring could come unseated.

Stay with the stock springs, or get the Eibach "pro-kit" springs.
-Garrett

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else? Everyone here talks up Tokico and no one has them (blues that is)?

·
Banned
76 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to believe seeing that one of the feature points of their ad is that the springs and struts are performance matched or some such term, leading you to think that Eibachs might not work as well. Glad I got your insights.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
lordy611 said:
Hard to believe seeing that one of the feature points of their ad is that the springs and struts are performance matched or some such term, leading you to think that Eibachs might not work as well. Glad I got your insights.
I heard Tokico springs are Eibachs springs with different rates.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
unkiedave said:
I heard Tokico springs are Eibachs springs with different rates.
This is supposed to be true, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be. The Tokico springs have a Tokico part number, but no mention of Eibach anywhere.

Anyhow they suck. Like I said, mine settled in the rear to the point of no preload. Not safe. Wouldn't pass TUV.
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Ok. I plan on the pro kit anyway but it seems as people have started to think he wants to know about springs. He just wants to know why he should pay extra money on the tokico blues over the KYB GR-2. Am i correct? I'm getting the KYB GR-2 because I think they are a better bang for the buck. I plan on being a daily driver for awhile and can't see paying an extra $200 for the blues. that extra money can buy you some eibach springs. :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
skiingman said:
This is supposed to be true, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be. The Tokico springs have a Tokico part number, but no mention of Eibach anywhere.

Anyhow they suck. Like I said, mine settled in the rear to the point of no preload. Not safe. Wouldn't pass TUV.
-Garrett
My Eibachs did that on stock struts, but with my Tokicos there is slight preload, but not so much that a spring compressor is necessary (convenient). Seems that the threaded portion of the strut rod is slightly longer on the Tokicos. You would think though that their own springs would be designed to match up with their struts.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jduffett said:
You would think though that their own springs would be designed to match up with their struts.
Exactly my point. The ad on ebay by jdmwerks (I think) sez just that: "...springs are matched to the struts..." implying Tokico springs that are specifically designed for the application (MX6) to provide just the right spring action to that of the strut.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unkiedave said:
Ok. I plan on the pro kit anyway but it seems as people have started to think he wants to know about springs. He just wants to know why he should pay extra money on the tokico blues over the KYB GR-2. Am i correct? I'm getting the KYB GR-2 because I think they are a better bang for the buck. I plan on being a daily driver for awhile and can't see paying an extra $200 for the blues. that extra money can buy you some eibach springs. :D
UnkieD-I was nearly resigned to get the Tokico Blues (cant justify the Illumina's extra cost to set em once and ride em til they die). I then saw the spring/strut set on ebay and it seemed to be nearly a no-brainer: A matched set of hi-grade suspension components, no shipping charge, vs. Tokico blues and then spend an extra $60 for Eibachs, AND $30 shipping. Now I hear you pumping the KYB's. Why?:confused:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up question to those who do have the Blues:
Are you happy you got em, or would you do something different knowing how they feel and make the car look?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm happy with mine after 20k km. Seems to me they could use a touch more rebound damping with the Eibachs, but given the options I'd buy them again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unkiedave said:
Have you done this yet?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
No. I have taken a ride in a six with this set up. it felt good. I have taken a ride on blues but it had drop zone springs and if all felt pretty crappy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have Tokico Blue struts with Eibach Prokit springs, its extremely
stiff and I can seriously corner with the car barely leaning and even with my Addco rear sway bar, its all around stiff.. one down side.. ride is really stiff which means its bumpy on the bumps..
The inside creeks because its so stiff..
Although if I have a full load of people, the suspension doesn't even drop an inch..
I can't wait until I get my 18 " rims, its going to be crazy })

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh by the way, I love the ride at fast speeds... only thing is that at slow speeds over bumps isn't fun because the rear is so stiff that my rear tires bounce. Although I would like to try adjustable Tokico's....
I was told at the shop that installed them that they were the best shocks you could get for a 2nd Gen MX-6 and that Yellow Koni's we're #1 but they don't fit.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
ssjgokou said:

I was told at the shop that installed them that they were the best shocks you could get for a 2nd Gen MX-6 and that Yellow Koni's we're #1 but they don't fit.

huh?:confused: I thought Mici has Koni's?:shrug:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well I had them installed almost 2 years ago so its possible they have yellow koni's that fit but i doubt it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts