Code:
STOCK:

CAR (-) coil wire
-------------------------(-)|---------|
                            |  Coil  |-|
CAR (+) coil wire           |        |-|
-------------------------(+)|---------|

MSD 6A

Car (-) coil wire (Yellow Blue)    (white Tach ADPT)  (white MSD)
--------------------------------=-----------|-----------------=-----|------------|
                                        |---|---------|             |            | 
                                        | tach adapter|             |  MSD AL    |
                                        |---|---------|             |            |
                                            |                       |            |
--------------------------------=-----------|-----------------=-----|------------|
Car (+) coil wire (Black/White)    (Red Tach adpt)   (red MSD) 

The orange is coil (+)
the Black is coil (-)
purple not used
green not used.

MX-6 colors are for the 6 inch coil extension harness, not the colors in the manual.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: fixed the text drawing for dutch

~Chris

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
thanks to Imagoon

sorry double post..tried to make the drawing more clear..

G

·
The MSD ignition system is an aftermarket ignition designed to improve the air/fuel combustion. Although there are several MSD units available, they all utilize multiple sparks rather then a single spark to ensure that the air/fuel mixture is fully burned.

The first generation Probe GT does not have a common ignition system that can be easily matched to MSD installation instructions and followed. The Probe GT has an Electronic Spark Advance system that allows the ECA to control ignition timing. Although the ESA system does not hinder the use of an aftermarket ignition system, special installation instructions are required to properly install the unit.

In addition to the MSD ignition system, the Probe requires a special adapter to convert the trigger signal into signal that the fuel injection system and tachometer will recognize. The Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter (MSD 8910-PROBE) is not listed in any catalogs, but can be ordered by any company that sells MSD equipment. I ordered one from Summit Racing for $30 and two weeks of special order shipping time.

I purchased the MSD 6-BTM from Summit Racing for my '91 Probe GT. The BTM model (Boost Timing Master) is different from other models in that it automatically adjusts spark timing based on how much boost is being produced by the turbo or supercharger. Using a control knob, the timing can be adjusted from 1 degree to 3 degrees per pound of boost. This unit (obviously) is for turbocharged or supercharged engines only and cost $350... $200 more than standard 6-series ignitions.

When installing, I found that the most difficult part was finding a place to mount the main unit. I found a nice, bare spot in the engine compartment along the left side of the frame, under the master brake cylinder. After drilling and mounting the unit, I needed another small mounting spot for the Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter. A small, bare square on the upper part of the rear of the engine compartment was perfect.

Note: The Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter produces a loud ticking sound that increases with the engine's rpm. This can clearly be heard in the passenger compartment due to this mounting location. I later added two thick rubber washers between the adapter and the car's frame. This solved the problem

Overview:

Note the two red wires and two black wires from the MSD ignition unit. The heavy red and heavy black wires are for the power and ground connections. The thinner red and black wires are for connecting the unit to the vehicle. The white wire from the MSD ignition unit is not used.

Required:

Screwdriver/Drill
Wire Cutters
Heat shrink tubing or electrical tape

Installation:

Mount the MSD ignition unit.
Mount the Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter in a location that's away from heat, but within reach of the MSD ignition unit's wires.
Cut the two wires (black/white & yellow) that connect to the bottom of the ignition coil.
Connect the yellow wire (negative) from the coil to the black wire from the MSD unit.
Connect the black/white wire (positive) from the coil to the orange wire from the MSD unit.
Connect the yellow wire from the car (cut from the coil) to the black wire from the Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter.
Connect the black/white wire from the car (cut from the coil) to the red wire from the MSD unit and the orange wire from the Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter.
Connect the Magnetic Pickup Connector (harness with purple and green wires) from the MSD unit to the two green wires from the Tach/Fuel Injection Adapter.
Connect the heavy red wire from the MSD unit directly to the vehicle's positive battery terminal. Do not connect behind a fuse.
Connect the heavy black wire from the MSD unit to the vehicle's negative battery terminal or a solid ground on the chassis.
Make sure all connections are water tight by using heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

All of this cut & Pasted from PerformanceProbe.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Please note that my diagram is for the red / white 2 wire adapter. The second one is for the one with the purple and green wire. there is two make sure you use the correct one or the sparks will fly.

~Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts