Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, just trying to figure out where exactly is the cruise control computer on a 88-89 MX6 GT ATX 4WS. I know it's separate from the main ECU but can't find where it could be. Help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's kinda hard to describe where it is. It's buried behind the dash, near the center. Uses a 13 pin connector (might help narrow it down..there's lots of crap back there.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply AntiSUV. Do you mean behind the dash as in behind the instrument cluster or behind the audio headunits? Or behind the dash facia?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It's behind the audio stuff, but I think it's buried pretty far back there. Probably not very easy to get to. If you lay down on your back with your head in the driver's footwell (legs hanging out the door), you might be able to look up and see it .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mine seems to be connected to the blank switches, on your dash under your speedo guages etc, where the cruise main switch is, my curise is wired into a blank covered switch housing in there somehow, not sure though

·
Registered
71 Posts
if your are talking about the cruise computer,it is on the passenger side right lower panel,directly in front of the door, the panel comes off easily,and the computer has one small connector.the computer in the center consol is the main ecu,the one that controls the engine functions,timing,and all that.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Correction. The cruise computer is located just above the gas pedal. I know this for a fact since last year I was diagnosing the cruise system (turns out I had a bad actuator), and according to the factory manual, this is where it is. Turns out it was right.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all the info guys. I am going to look for it at those places. I am under the impression that one lead from the cruise computer has the speedo signal. Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yep. According to the wiring diagram for my '90. You're looking for a green wire with a red stripe going into the control box (or coming from the instrument cluster).

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok guys,what i am talking about is the cruise control unit,the computer,and this would be for the 91,92 year model,gt.88-90 models are different.i had to replace my cruise unit on my 91 mx gt as well,and it is located on the passenger side kick panel,and also this is straight out of the 91-92 gt shop manual.sorry if i caused any cofusion,i thought we were talking about 91-92.if you need details,i'll scan the page.happy hunting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that guys. Jwilsonjrs, do you have the ECU wiring diagram for MX6 GT? Could you possibly scan that for me? I am trying to use the RX7 wiring diagram to connect my Apexi Reve meter. Just want to make sure it's the same thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have it and i could scan it,but the ecu's from our cars are different,not much,but they are,i dont know if it would do you any good.if you want it email me and i'll scan it,but you might want to ask anarchy or one of the other ones that have 88-90 model gt's.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, if you have the cruise computer pin-out, that would be more helpful. My email is [email protected]
Thanks.

G

·
cruise control and fe3 wiring diagram

I'm doing a motor swap and conversion to 5-speed. Will the cruise still cancel when i touch the clutch like it did when it was auto?

Also, I'm swapping in an fe3 motor:D but my mechanic needs a wiring schematic for the fe3 to do a comparison, in order to do the install. Can anyone help me? If you have it, would it be possible to scan it and e-mail it to me? The distributor on the fe3 is a four-wire long cam, and the f2 has a two-wire short cam. thanks for the help.

Joel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts