Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding. I was wondering what size tires was good for my stock 93 LS wheels. Im putting them back on for the winter and right now my car is in the body shop. Can anyone tell me so I can go get the tires in order to put them on whenever my car returns. Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
I know 225/50R15 is an optional size. V-rated or higher of course. Alot of people i have spoken to recomended the Toyo FZ4.

G

·
0 Posts
I have Toyo FZ4 225/50 R15 87V's

PAracing6 said:
I know 225/50R15 is an optional size. V-rated or higher of course. Alot of people i have spoken to recomended the Toyo FZ4.
These seem to provide a bit better cornering ability and even a little smoother ride. Be advised that the wider the tires you get, the better the traction (generally) on dry pavement, but expect a bit worse traction in the wet and the ice (because of more surface area). I'm really happy with the 225/50's though, since they're not significantly wider than the stock 205's.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: easy quesiton

Rufnek69 said:
What is the largest tire size that can be put on the sec gen, WITHOUT any other modifications??
A manager from Les Schwab told me 225's were about max, without having to modify anything. I've known this guy for a number of years and he seems to know his stuff. He said 235's MAY be ok too...but he said it'd be close. He also mentioned that wet traction would then be noticeably worse though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
wheels/tires...

You can use 17" rims and 40 series tires, and they'll fit fine. Remember, though, that without lowering your ride, you're gonna have a HUGE gap between your tire and your wheel-well. I suggest getting some springs first...

G

·
0 Posts
Rufnek69 said:
what about for inches?

stock is fifteen, could i get some low-pro 17s on there without moding anything?
Your speedo will probably be off a bit too. I think it'll read about 5mph or so too slow (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The 17s sure would look great though!

·
Registered
291 Posts
speedos...

Well, the speedo will read incorrectly if you stray from the original outer diameter of the tire. 17" wheels with 40 series tires are the correct match. If you use 45 series tires [also very common] that will screw you up on the speedo thing. tlk is correct, though, the 45 series tires will make your speedometer read about 5 mph too slow. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
2nd gens can stuff 20's!!! (as long as you dont do any u-turns) boy that e-brake comes in handy, eh? the highest i would go is 18's

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
umm

Would it look kewl with 17s on there without any other mods??

why are the springs needed in the first place?

With bigger tires, will your car essentially go faster since each rotation covers more ground space? thus helping in races??

this is intresting to me, please let meknow

·
Registered
257 Posts
I HAD 225/50/15 ON MY STOCKER AND IT LOOKED AND PERFORMED VERY GOOD. NOW I HAVE 235/40/17 AND ITS LOWERED AND NO MODS WERE NEEDED TO ACCOMODATE THESE. BUT ABSOLUTELY LOWER IT BEFORE YOU DO RIMS!!! IT LOOKS AWFUL OTHERWISE.

I'M SELLING MY 17's BY THE WAY IF YOU'RE INTERESTED. CHECK MY PICS BELOW. I'M GOING TO 18's.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
whoa

Dude, those rims are DAMN FAT!!!

what you want for the tires and rims?
and
Whereabouts are you?

Im TO canada...

what should I spend on springs to make those tires look kickass!

P

·
0 Posts
I believe that the opotional rim and tire sizes for a '93 are 225/45r17 0r a 225/40r18. i believe that maintains the stock overall tire diameter, which should not affect your speedometer. Those are the sizes i got out of the TSW catalog.

·
Registered
257 Posts
NOPE. THE DIAMETER OF A 225/45/17 IS LARGER THAN STOCK. SO IS A 225/40/18. HERES SOME #'s. NOW LARGER IS BETTER SINCE IT'LL FILL YOUR WHEEL WELL MORE. JUST DONT GO OVERBOARD AND MAKE IT RUB. IT ALSO DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU'RE LOWERED.
AND LARGER DOES EFFECT YOUR SPEEDO A LITTLE

HERE'S THE #'s:
OVERALL DIAMETER FROM GROUND TO TOP OF WHEEL:

STOCK-205/55/15= 23.88"
OPTION FOR OEM RIMS- 225/50/15= 23.86" (WIDER)
16":
225/50/16 (3rd gen RX7)= 24.86"
205/50/16 = 24.07" VERY CLOSE TO STOCK
17":
225/40/17 = 24.09" VERY CLOSE TO STOCK
235/40/17 (i have these,no probs)=24.4"
235/45/17 (i know alot have these)= 25.33" (biggest you can go i think)
18":
225/40/18 = 25.09
235/40/18 = 25.40"
225/35/18 = 24.20" VERY CLOSE TO STOCK BUT TOO LOW PRO. RISK OF HITTING RIM IN POTHOLE IS VERY HIGH. BUT SPEEDO STILL PRETTY ACCURATE.

HOPE THIS HELPS MAN =)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: umm

Rufnek69 said:

With bigger tires, will your car essentially go faster since each rotation covers more ground space? thus helping in races??

youre definately right about that but keep in mind that it takes more power to turn those bigger wheels (so better for high speed but not from a standstill).also you will get better gas mileage!!! Putting bigger wheels on is like lowering your final drive ratio. most racers raise their final. my friend had 4.96's on his town car...hehehehe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what about for inches?

stock is fifteen, could i get some low-pro 17s on there without moding anything?
My 95 has 17s on it. Ride is smooth. Also have 2 inch spacers so the wheel track is wider. So yes, you can put low profile 17s on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts