1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 LX with an auto and a full tank. Here are my times:
0-60 in 9.28
1/4 mile in 17.17 @ 85mph

I did the tests a few times to see if it was consistant, which it was.

[Edited by kennymx6 on 12-20-2000 at 06:03 PM]

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
kennymx6 said:
I have an 89 LX with an auto and a full tank. Here are my times:
0-60 in 9.28
1/4 mile in 17.17

I did the tests a few times to see if it was consistant, which it was.
The G-Tech can be, theoretically at least, very accurate. Integrating acceleration over a bunch of very small time slices should net a pretty good inertial measurement system.

Errors can creep in though. The mounting on the windshield is prone to biasing (i.e. not reading dead-zero Gs when just sitting there.)

Also, the GTech must be mounted such that the axis the car is accelerating along is the exact same as the axis the GTech is measuring. If it's off, the GTech is seeing a fraction of the actual acceleration.

As well, when the car accelerates, it changes pitch (i.e. the front rises, the rear squats) so the G-Tech sees a gravitational component it shouldn't really see.

The A/D converter in the GTech is only 8-bit so it's only accurate to a maximum of about 7mG. While I haven't reverse-engineered the code in a GTech, there's no doubt some round-off errors too.

The car must start to move before the GTech actually starts measuring acceleration and elapsed time etc etc etc...

Having said that, your numbers are very good. Look for the actual numbers, as a zero-order estimate, to be a tenth or two slower than what the GTech reports. Like I said though, there's alot of sources of error so it could go either way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that it is accurate. I just tested it in my friends 00 golf 1.8t. I got it to do 0-60 in 7.25, which is what it is supposed to do. Man, I love this thing! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else with a first gen N/A that has knows there 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts