Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, got a small prob again after installing my manifold. i finally got it to idle, but if i raise the idle a VERY little or put my foot on the gas a VERY little it goes into this little epileptic seizure. it goes up & down 1000,1800,1000,1800,1000,1800, etc...

is it my TPS? i get good readings on the volt meter. anything else it COULD be?

Thanks
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
921 Posts
ok i had the same problem and adjusting the TPS helped me out. I wouldnt get the high bouncing idle it just bounced around 100rpms. I than found out that i had oil in my plugs. Thought that would be the problem. Changed the gaskets and added spacers and now im pretty much where your at. Adjusting the TPS helps the idle a bit, but it still rasies and wont go back down for a while. In between shifts the idle would hang and not drop. Than i got a code 24 than a 17 a few days later. Did you pull any codes? So now im still stuck. Dont you hate this. Not replacing the sensors just yet cuzz i believe something is causing this bad idle and causing the sensors to mess up. Let me know if you ever figure it out what it is?? Im about to redo everything. Theres something we both forgot to do when installing the intake manifold. anybody else have this problem? It might be as simple as a bad seal to the manifold which is causing a small air leak.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, i tinkered around a bit & got it purring like a kitten @ about 7-800rpm :D

shuper schweet!!! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have the same problem... :mad:

idling at beginning around 500-600rpm...then it raises to 1000rpm after a few go-and-stops and it just stays there around 1000-1200rpm and wont come back down....

please tell us how u make the idle drop to normal !

thanx

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
adjusting TPS....

attention class....

dude, u have NO idea how EASY this turned out to be and mow much of a HUGE difference it made! not only in the idling, but the power & throttle response it restored on my boy's 93 too when we did it to his. i did mods at the same time so it made an enourmous difference on mine, but it even restored the throttle response on his 93 too. here goes:

tools needed-
--7mm socket for TPS screws (they'll be a BITCH with just a screwdriver. definitely strip.)
--flathead screwdriver
--paper clip

********THATS IT!*********

what to do:
--loosen the TPS screws just enough to be able to rotate the TPS. no need to remove them all together
--start the car & let it get to normal temp.
--use the paper clip to bridge the GND & TEN pins in the dignosis box. like you would to read codes. your engine will idle rough, dont panic. if it stalls raise the idle just enough to keep it from stalling
--now if you rotate the TPS sligtly, you'll find that the fan turns on & off at a certain point. turn it back & forth slowly & gently to find the EXACT point at which it turns off.
--tighten the TPS screws maintaining that exact spot.
--now adjust your idle to about 350-400rpm(just do it, i'll explain) using the IDLE ADJUSTING SCREW on top of the t/b. its the little recessed flathead screw. clockwise to lower idle, counterclockwise to raise.
--remove the paper clip, shut off the car.
--when u restart the car, it should be at a firm 7-800rpm idle.

now go do it, and enjoy the difference. email me if any ??s. it worked AWESOME 4 ME!!!

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
114 Posts
:confused:

sorry, but you got a mechanical idiot here.......

first of all, what is TPS?

second, can you guys tell me where the TPS and TPS screws are?

third, do i have to remove any parts first to see the TPS?

thanx

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eleven said:
:confused:

sorry, but you got a mechanical idiot here.......

first of all, what is TPS?

second, can you guys tell me where the TPS and TPS screws are?

third, do i have to remove any parts first to see the TPS?

thanx
1- Throttle Position Sensor
2- on the side of your throttle body. its a round black thing with a wire harness coming out of it. front side.
3- no, you dont need to remove any parts to do this.

good luck!
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
114 Posts
thanx !

i will try it this weekend and will post the results....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts