Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what the brand name is but I went to a local shop to get a "full cat back exhaust" price, and I was told it would be around $750 installed. Does this sound right to you guys/gals? I really can't spend that much money on an exhaust system (I am ok with $300-$350), but I do want the full cat back because my stock is all rusted and getting ready to fall apart. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I searched but didn't really find a lot of help on prices.

Thanks
MRDESI

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Depends on the brand. The Greddy runs around $500...but $250 sounds kinda steep for the labor. I would say $600 installed would be about right or you can do like I did and find someone who knows how to weld and tell them how to do it and pay $475 installed :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
carX charged me $170 for a crushbent catback exhaust. did u just want a replacement or did u want a performance exhaust?

·
Registered
54 Posts
yah that seams really high i was looking at a cat back and it was only like 350 installed w/ muffler so i would look around first. also you don't need to go big name on exaust to get good performance its jsut piping

·
Registered
180 Posts
itd prol;ly be cheaper(though most places wont warranty and some wont do at all) if you bought ur exhaust onl;ine and had someone put it on...its not a very difficult job for someone who knows how to weld and should be competent with cutting tools...maybe 2 hours 3 at the most...which shouldnt total more than 200

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
A) You can install a catback yourself if you can use pair of pliers and a wrench.

B) Weld? What on earth do you want to weld on a catback?

C) Borla can be had for 350 or so. Install it yourself. Took me 45 minutes including removal of OEM system.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Sorry for getting back so late, I couldn't find my own post:D , I do want some performance along with a nice sound. I have an aftermarket muffler on my car it wasn't a name brand or anything and sounded and looked great. I am wanting to replace because the pipe split in half right where the muffler joins the pipe. I looked under there one day and it looked pretty bad so I thought why not just get the full catback. Also because I am slowly modding my car and I want to make sure that every new mod I do works with the next one I will be doing, (rebuilding engine-and then turbo).

skiingman--I dont know much about the labor, but why or why not is welding required?

Thanks for all the help, I will shop around.

Oh and where should I looking for my posts, I thought it would be in the 2nd gen performance section.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i had a borla on my old car. it is a very high quality piece.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have to agree with "Zoom Zoom v6" just but a nice looking muffler online that you like, and take it to a muffler shop and ask for them to make a custom cat-back. much cheaper anyway. i personally purchased exhauset peiced from JC whitney which came to a total of $150 including the cat. i welding them myself but you shouldn't pay no $750 for an exhaust no matter who makes it.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
You won't need to weld anything if you get a aftermarket exhaust, they are all bolt on. You only need to do the welding if you get a custom setup with your own muffler and DIY. It took me and my buddy about 2 hrs for my setup, taking off the stocker, weld flanges on Hi-Flow Cat, bolt on the cat-back and weld on my Titanium muffler ;) I got my custom 2.5" SS mandrel bent exhaust on a bulk buy for $195 shipped, just the pipe, and the Titanium muffler for $140. I like this setup, it has a deep heavy tone. At first I went to a few shop and ask for installation price, and they said $120 to do all that work, so I decided to install it myself :tup: Borla is nice but it's only 1 7/8", I would refer 2.25" or 2.5" for our KL engine.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

Hey NY_Mazda_MX-6, thanks, can you give me a little more description/list of what I should actually buy from JC Whitney and then I can just find a local muffler shop to make me a custom cat-back.

Hey MazdaMX6, thanks, you said:

"Borla is nice but it's only 1 7/8", I would refer 2.25" or 2.5" for our KL engine."

What kind of a difference will this make? And can I get that size with Borla?

Thanks a lot for you suggestions.

Naveen

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I heard the Borla used to make 2" inlet but now they only have the 1 7/8" inlet, you'll still get some performance gain with the Borla due to the mandrel bent. If you are pretty much stock, the 2.5" piping will get you some hp gain while lose a little torque, but when you start doing more modification in the engine, a bigger exhaust would be better.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Borla $379

The full Borla catback for $379 is the cheapest I have found, but I am hesitant because of what MazdaMX6 said about the size, I will not be doing any major engine work for another year or so, so I might just go with this catback, does anyone know any other company or place that might be selling full catbacks systems for a cheaper price?

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts