Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If u upgrade tire your tire size will u get a performance increase? one rotation of the tire would travel further.

·
Registered
641 Posts
nope. the bigger the tire the slower. changes the gear ratio

·
Registered
641 Posts
maybe a little, but it will throw off your speedo

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
presterminator said:
If u upgrade tire your tire size will u get a performance increase? one rotation of the tire would travel further.
It depends. There are quite a few variables.

When you say "upgrade your tire size", you could be talking about going wider (e.g. from a 205 to a 225). When you do this, you need to adjust the aspect ratio so that the tire has roughly the same outside diameter. For instance, a 225/50 has a sidewall about 112.5mm tall. A 205 tire that has the same height would be something like a 205/55 (which has a height of 112.75...) The benefit is a reduced side-wall height which increases stiffness and turn-in rate. The increased footprint of the 225 can also give more ultimate grip. Downside? Increased rolling resistance mainly.

If you go to, say, a 17" rim, you need to size the tires carefully to ensure the same circumference so the speedo (at the very least) works properly. In addition to causing problems for the speedo, mal-sized tires can rub on the suspension or bodywork. The benefits of bigger wheels might be stiffer sidewalls (esp. the 40 or 35 series...) and better looks. Downsides include the fact that most aftermarket wheels are terribly heavy (increases moment of inertia, slowing acceleration). Less resistance to pothole impacts (due to short sidewalls) might be another concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a set of 19" rims for cheap( for 19's), with the same lug patern. Will they rub, and what should the backspacing be for then and /or 18s?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the biggest you want to go on a mx6 is 17s. Some people go with 18s but they tend to rub a little and I personally would not recommend it. As far as 19s i would for sure not recommend anything that big!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: 19" rims

Bobby Stylez said:
You have to admit, they would be phat as hell though. :eek:
sure, if you live in the ghetto. :D i've played around with tire sizes alot, and have found that the best 'performance' setup, in my opinion, is 235/45/16s. you get lots of sticky grip, and no real loss of acceleration from bigger rims. if you go to 40 series tire, you run a big risk of bending or breaking your rims (like i did about 5 times). :mad:
also, spend a little extra money to get lighter rims if you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was accually lookin at Konig sub zeros .. 16". But if i was lookin to build a show car 19"s or 18"s would be nice.

·
baaaaaaaaaad Honda.
3,857 Posts
My 18's don't rub at all!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
18's don't always rub, but you run the risk! And 19s would look fat if they were nie rims, but we don't drive Expeditions. I was thinking of buying 17s but I want good acceleration, so now I'm thinking 16s myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts