Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I am done changing my fuel filter...took me all of about 4 hrs and a lot of cuts and pain in every joint...who designs these cars???? The only thing I couldn't get the clamp back on the bottom hose its just too tight...I wanna know how long I can go without it...i plan to replace it as soon as possible

G

·
God [email protected] I know exactly what you mean. Everything is so freaking crammed into the engine bay, it's impossible to reach anything without removing half of the engine. I have thrown many a wrench across the street in anger over this problem. Anyhow with the clamp problem, if you really, really can't get it back on with a hefty needle-nose pliers, then see how much force it takes to get it off. If you can just pull it off easily then keep at it with the pliers, but take nice, long healthy breaks in between sessions. Eventually you'll get it. Just think of that happy time when you're all done.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think that the fuel filter replacement on the V-6 models has got to be the most-difficult maintenance item. I never look forward to that job (I've done it twice). I usually replace the rubber hoses when I do the job and sometimes replace the clamps. I twist the rubber hose with pliers to remove it, and it sometimes cracks.

Tyson

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks guys, I will go back in there and try to get a better clamp on there...I am not looking forward to that!!! My damn back hurts so much...Thanks for everyone who helped...I never wanna see or hear the word fuel filter again!!! If I can get by without putting that bottom clamp on the hose I will...that was just too much for me

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd put it on ASAP. Just think, now you have done it will be easier the next time. The more I work on my car I have found myself using the manual less and less. My back does hurt too when I work on my car for a while. My wife just says I'm getting old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
_bullet_ride_ said:
God [email protected] I know exactly what you mean. Everything is so freaking crammed into the engine bay, it's impossible to reach anything without removing half of the engine. I have thrown many a wrench across the street in anger over this problem. Anyhow with the clamp problem, if you really, really can't get it back on with a hefty needle-nose pliers, then see how much force it takes to get it off. If you can just pull it off easily then keep at it with the pliers, but take nice, long healthy breaks in between sessions. Eventually you'll get it. Just think of that happy time when you're all done.

Try working on the 2.5L V6 in a Mazda MX-3!! There is even less room in the engine bay :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
mts3 said:
I think that the fuel filter replacement on the V-6 models has got to be the most-difficult maintenance item.

Tyson
I guess you havent replaced the front and rear valve cover gaskets huh? Or your time belt..... It's not incredibly hard.. just takes a loooooot of time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually J, Thanks for all the help you gave me on the Fuel Filter, but I don't ever wanna hear that word again...I am taking some yime to lick my wounds, then I plan to replace both gaskets...do you think after this experience its something I should undertake? If so, where do I start?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow, that is a very broad subject. Just remember, as long as you have the right tools, it's not a hard thing to do. It just takes time to find all of the bolts, (especially that f-ing one in the back of the manifold that you can only feel and not see). Simply label all of the hoses that you remove. By numbers or colors and you should be set... Expect to spend about 3-5 hours doing this. When my car hydrofroze, I took off the manifold for the second time. That time, it took me about 45 minutes to remove and 30 minuted to put back on....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
JPMX6GT said:

I guess you havent replaced the front and rear valve cover gaskets huh? Or your time belt..... It's not incredibly hard.. just takes a loooooot of time.
you guys and your damn V-6s... hey why dont one of you try disassembling your ENTIRE ENGINE!!!!!

...wow. all of a sudden, fuel filters become cake!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts