Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I raced my friends brand new 2000 Camaro Z28. He is also a crappy ass driver. Trust me I've let him drive my car. GOOD LORD! Anyways, I was doing find till I about the middle of 2nd gear when I noticed him startin' to pull away. It just got even worse at 3rd gear. Just a warning don't f*** with Z28's. They are not a Ford. SORRY but I hate Ford with a passion. But I do like some of their Probe's. I'll never challenge a Z28 again. He ended up beating my by like 7 car lengths. Which isn't to bad. But I live in Ford country I swear. I've raced many GT's and never got beaten this bad. Only 2 or 3 had even beat me at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not STUPID

Hell no, I would never f*** with an SS. A one armed monkey could drive on of those at a consistent 1/4 in the mid to low 13's. Trust me. I love Chevy and I plan on buying an SS (if they still have the Camaro) in 2004. Then I'll be 21 years of age and my insurance will go down. Not a ticket or accident yet. Knock on wood.

J

·
0 Posts
bring on the ss

only lost 1 race to a ss.hed had full built motor and 200 shot bottle.i have killed endless zs.if you need upgrade advise let me know.on old engine and turbo was pulling [email protected] new engine and 550hp turbo going in this saturday.........

·
Registered
44 Posts
SORRY JAMES...I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH U'VE SPENT ON UR CAR BUT STOCK THERE'S NO CHANCE IN HELL U'D MESS WITH AN SS...Chevy has been able to get then below 5 sec 0-60 times i dont know who ur fooling man...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford Mustang GT

When I say GT. I mean Ford Mustang GT's not Ford Probe GT's. It just seems to me Chevy's are a hell of a lot better then Ford's. Not many GT's have beat me but I'm sure I'll get beat by plenty of Z28's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i think ur damn right if u compare numbers for pretty much any chevy v. ford match up the chevy comes out on top almost 85% of the time at least i'd say... i mean.. camaro v. mustang, impala v. taurus, even z24 v. focus, and chevy always pulls the faster numbers and more power out of the same size engine... not to mention the fact that, yes chevy's do have some problems, but compared to ford they're in the shop a hell of a lot less

·
Registered
734 Posts
mazda4president said:
i think ur damn right if u compare numbers for pretty much any chevy v. ford match up the chevy comes out on top almost 85% of the time at least i'd say... i mean.. camaro v. mustang, impala v. taurus, even z24 v. focus, and chevy always pulls the faster numbers and more power out of the same size engine... not to mention the fact that, yes chevy's do have some problems, but compared to ford they're in the shop a hell of a lot less
Ignorance is bliss huh? Watch F1 racing and see which one is higher in the rankings. Ford doesn't try and have the fastest consumer cars. They prove that when they made the SHO. also, when you consider the impala packed a 5.7 litre V8 and the SHO packed a 3.4 litre. Race the two and you'll see that they are about the same speed. I've raced both and the SHO gave me more of a challenge than the Impala.

·
Registered
734 Posts
import_killer said:
Today I raced my friends brand new 2000 Camaro Z28. He is also a crappy ass driver. Trust me I've let him drive my car. GOOD LORD! Anyways, I was doing find till I about the middle of 2nd gear when I noticed him startin' to pull away. It just got even worse at 3rd gear. Just a warning don't f*** with Z28's. They are not a Ford. SORRY but I hate Ford with a passion. But I do like some of their Probe's. I'll never challenge a Z28 again. He ended up beating my by like 7 car lengths. Which isn't to bad. But I live in Ford country I swear. I've raced many GT's and never got beaten this bad. Only 2 or 3 had even beat me at all.
Uh, if you hate Ford so much, then why do you drive one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chevy uses a 5.7 whereas ford uses a 4.6. Of course the chevy will be faster. As far as any MX6 running with a Z28 or even a Mustang GT... you better have forced induction or nitrous or even a KLZE. I find it hard to believe that 2.5L v6 pushin around 135 to the wheels stock could hang with 195 rwhp of the Mustang GT. That car has some crazy torque too. As far as hating fords... Your not gonna hate fords when the new 295hp Mustang Gt's come out in 2002. GM is discontinuing the Fbody that year so the Mustang will really have no competition in its price range. Personally I think the F bodies are much faster than the Mustang has ever been. The Cobras have a hard time running with z28s and T/A's. Jump into SS's and WS6's and they stop worrying about Mustangs and start modding up trying to beat vipers. The Fbody I think is the best fast car for the money but the rest of the country doesn't seem to agree with me because the Fbody is the Worst selling GM car. Thats just my two pennies.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have to agree with IH8RICE, the Camaro is faster than the Mustang stock, but have you driven both? The Mustang is a better all around car. While both cars are considered to be American Muscle, the Mustang is built with the same idea that the MX-6 was built. Build a car that is pretty good performance wise, fun to drive, but still has comfort. I can drive my MX-6 or a Mustang from AZ to Oregon, which I do about 3 times a year, but I would never drive a Camaro that far. They're just not built with the same Philosophy. It's not like Ford couldn't build a Mustang that'd eat any Camaro, for the same price, they just know that you have to consider all aspects of driving a car. The selling numbers speak for themselves. Face it, GM can't f*&# with Ford Mo. Co.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hah, I was with my friend in his PGT when he whopped a Z28. Of course it was a LT1 but still, he was pulling hard. Im sure hed be pretty even with a LS1. I know he is in the 13s as far as 1/4 times. I cant wait cuz Im buying his car and adding even more to it to whoop some LS1 ass.. or try anyway

·
Registered
44 Posts
UM...YEAH

OK...i'd like to know what u consider "better all around" b/c last time i checked the camaro has always beaten the mustang in all performance numbers, including acceleration top speed and lateral g. Second, what u consider good looks is a matter of opinion, personally i think the camaro is much sweeter looking. Third, people have just as many problems mechanically(if not more) with mustangs as they do camaros, hell ford just had to recall mustangs dating back to 94 for some parking brake problem, so u cant be talking about that kind of thing. And to say that if ford wanted to build a mustang that was EQUALLY PRICED that could as u say it "EAT" a camaro is assanine considering they havent been able to yet.. if u want to talk about the new Cobra R then look at the price ...$54,000 and what do u get?? no RADIO, no A/C...loud as ALL HELL cause they took out sound deadening material, and the performance numbers still dont match that of the new Z06 Vette, while the Vette is at least 8 grand cheaper while being comfortable as all hell and providing both a sweet sound system, nice ride, and full blowing A/C.. i think some of u guys need to realize some of this shit before posting stuff about mustangs... and i also dont buy a STOCK PGT blowing out a Z28, thats total BS flag right there.. maybe if u put a good 8-10 grand in a PGT could u beat a 5.2 0-60ing 160+top speed driving Z28... give me a break

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I always hated when you find people who are "die hard" Ford, or Chevy fans. I think that is gay.

But anyway, I've never been a "die hard" fan of Chevy, I had just always prefered them. For a long time, I couldn't comprehend the fact that the Ford Mustang is outselling the Chevy Camero, Pointac TransAm and Firebird, and all Chevy's sports cars put together. I have to agree completely, that those Z28's and SSs freakin Kick A$$ man. However, I have ridden in both. By far, the TransAm outperforms the Mustang, hands down. BUT, the Mustang just felt so much better. I believe now, that the quality of the Mustang is greater than the Camero by a wide Margin. I'm not talking about the motors, and Trannies--they are about =. I'm talking the Body, the feel of every thing in side, and so on.

This is a total change for me, ask my friends. All I used to talk about was buying a brand new TransAm SS with the WS6 conversion. I have changed my mind. The body AND interior are Cheapo crap. They are also not well balanced, too much weight on the front of the car, not enough on the drive tires--which can be dangerous. A buddy of mine almost had a wreck because he grabbed like 2nd gear going 50 or 60mph, and spun the rear tires, almost fish tailed out from under him. Imagine how that could affect you making a turn in rainy weather. The leather in the TransAm is worse than Vinyl.

If the Chevy offered better quality interior and body, I'd be back to wanting a TA. I think that that is why Ford is outselling the Chevy so much. Oh yeah, they are discontinuing the F bodies in 2002.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: UM...YEAH

mazda4president said:
OK...i'd like to know what u consider "better all around" b/c last time i checked the camaro has always beaten the mustang in all performance numbers, including acceleration top speed and lateral g.
What part of all around did you not understand? I suggest you reread my post. You're still talking about performance. There's more to building a car than just performance; or should I say building and selling a car rather. I'm not a Chevy hater or a Ford lover but I have driven both cars and I know which is better, and why one can sell while the other doesn't. If a Camaro is sooo good than why can GM not sell them? Hmmmm Something to think about... Have you driven both of them? I doubt it. If you are going to argue a point you should at least know what you're talking about. Do some research, drive them, then come back and say which you think is better and provide some proof, but look at the whole picture. If you build a car and try to sell it, people are going to want everything, you have to decide what is more important to put into your car in order to keep the costs inline. The Mustang is more of an all around car while the Camaro is more focused on a specific target audience. Unfortunatly, the Camaro can't sell itself. This is why they are being discontinued.

Also about the Cobra R, check out
http://www.motortrend.com/april00/speedfreaks/cobra.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the new Cobra R,with a price tag of around 50,000 american It better be the fastest mustang ever built,so ford attest's.If you look at there comparison's between it,the new Z06 corvette,and the dodge viper.Viper was fastest in accel. of course,mustang was the best for the track,but the corvette was rated the best all around car out of the three,I like Ford but chevy always seems to come out on top.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I always love to hear Chevy fans try to defend themselves. The last comparo test that Car&Criver did between the three american ponycars revealed some interesting details. The CamaroSS/Trans AM run away from Cobra's because they are basically running the new vette engine with little detuning. This is the only way C&D was able to justify the numbers, so GM is again reporting lower horsepower figures in order to try and make themselves look better and make insurance reasonable. Ok that might be cool, but then they start talking about the Camaros handling, you dont like to see discriptions that use words like "spooky". Across the board they where unsure about the Camaro in the twisties. And the Trans Am, well that is an absolute love it or positively gag me I cant belive they made it.C&D wrote and interesting observation or two about it. They found that people who had no hope of owning a Trans Am any time in the near future positivly idolized the car. Now if all you want to do is stop light drags you might want the SS. But you get into autocross situations and the Mustang will come out on top(and I belive the Mx6 would thrash both of them in that situation). Well Chevy seems to think that all people want is horsepower, even when they see the boys at Ford doing the opposite. So they are coming out with the SSR, totaly dedicated to drags. My god what do you need a 6.5liter two seat, no bed pickup for. Oh well, the saga continues.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whatever!

Damn, I didn't mean for this post to be a Ford vs. Chevy. All I'm saying is don't mess with Z28's. GT's LICK! You guys talk about how Ford is an "all-around" better car. Most of you have no business saying that. It's all opinions and preference. I love Chevy and Camaro's. But I do see problems with them. I think the fact that I live in a place where at every corner there's a Mustang. Which just intensifies my hate for them. I hate the mustang's seats, I find them very uncomfortable, with no lateral support. I really don't care for the new body styles. I liked the '94-'98 style. Plus, my brother owns a chain of auto shops of about 56 stores. And by far the most common car in their is the Mustang. Well, I take that back. The "exploder" I mean explorer is the most common. I think Ford needs to think more about safety and having their cars last a while, then how many cars their selling. Chevy kicks Ford's ass on the track. I don't know who said Mustangs will beat Ford on the track cause your completely wrong. Just one Ex. The BOSS. The "ultimate" Mustang. Got it's butt wooped on the track by the Camaro. And do you know how many problems they had with the Boss. A pushrod. They broke a pushrod. And then they had to go 100 miles to find one that would work. All I'm saying are Chevy's are better thought out and performing cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i mustang

sure, all chevy thinks people want is horsepower right? ok, why did ford build the cobra r? no a/c even!?!?! no sound system, no nothing. why? to get more horses right? ok yeah, that makes sense bud. and c/d tv did a test in 99' on a mustang gt, camaro ss, and trans am. guess whose last? nah, it wasn't the mustang was it? sure was. whose on top again? oh yeah, that was the camaro. how? better handling, more power, better track times. the only thing was is that the mustang sold more than the trans am and camaro combined. that just shows you the only the REAL car enthusiasts know who builds the best. keep looking at times and you'll find that the mustang still puts up NO competition for the camaro. at least chevy builds both a camaro and corvette, not trying to combine like ford does. you know, ford started the business but all the magazine editors agree that chevy perfected it. and sure, a 2.5 liter, 1/4 mile times in the 15's, 0-60 in what? 7 secs, i'm sure the mx6 would "thrash" the camaro and mustang in "those situations". next time try to defend your point with some sense. thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maybe if you knew what an "Autocross situation" ment you wouldnt sound so stupid. Autocross means sharp hairpin turns graduating into another turn. THAT IS NOT DEPENTDENT ON HOW FAST YOUR 1/4 MILE TIME IS! Geez, I was saying the Mx6's chasis is more adapt to that kind of road, that is where it comes into its own and is able to alter its stance through the turns. AND PLEASE dont come back and say the lateral g acceleration is better on the Mustang and Camaros. If you know anything about handling you also know that a chasis may provide alot of grip if you hold a specific line and dont upset it, but it might not like changes. There for you get cars that have better latteral acceleration numbers but slower lane change speeds. The MX6 is not a drag racer, it was never designed to be, but it is quick.
Ok, the next thing you miss quoted. That comparo between the Cobra, Trans Am, and SS. Yes the Camaro did win, but the Cobra finished second, leaving the Trans Am in last(looking at the issue right now, C&D aug. 1999). The Trans Am was fastest but they didnt like the styling nor the fact that the body rolled so bad the tires scrubbed the wheel wells.
"The suspension also allowed excesive body motions....there was substantial brake fade after extended lapping."
Car&Driver Aug. 1999
That is why it does not make an ideal autocross car.
As for your question about the Cobra R. Well gee they only made 500 of them. That makes it a special,limited edition race prepared but street legeal car. I doubt I will ever see one. So you cant use that as an argument.
Gee, I guess you must have more horsepower than brains.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts