Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda wants $35 each for new door hinges. Any driver's side hinge I pull at the salvage yard will probably be worn but the passenger side (or back doors) would likely be in relatively good shape.

They almost look like they are symmetrical and a passenger side hinge could be reversed to be used on the driver's side. Any know if this is possible?

Also, is there an easy way to get them off without pulling the fender?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Mazda wants $35 each for new door hinges. Any driver's side hinge I pull at the salvage yard will probably be worn but the passenger side (or back doors) would likely be in relatively good shape.

They almost look like they are symmetrical and a passenger side hinge could be reversed to be used on the driver's side. Any know if this is possible?

Also, is there an easy way to get them off without pulling the fender?
By X6 driver I will assume Mx6, and by back doors, you mean 626.
626 hinges don't fit the MX6 the two points that bolt to the door is shorter on the 626 hinge.

I am using a lower passenger door hinge on the upper drivers side, don't know if it fit correctly or not cause I had to customize a 626 lower bracket to fit and adjust everything...

The back door hinges aren't the same as the front on a 626 (if I recall).

With the door opened, undo the slider between both mounts By pulling out the pin.
Pull the rubber covered plastic harness end (at the frame) and undo the two plugs in there.
Undo the hinge bolts going into the door, remove the door, now you can undo the hinges from the frame (car body) without removing the fender.

Reinstall in reverse order (make sure to line up the slider and put the retaining pin in before closing the door or you could drive the slider to far into the door and bend it/break the plastic clip thingy's)

To align the door on your car you can pull half the plastic inner fender back and using and extension and a small 12mm socket you can tighten the bolts going into the door with the door shut and someone pushing/holding it to match the body lines (this adjusts the in/out of the door).
Now the door will probably hang when opened so you have to adjust the hinges where they bolt to the car frame.

Undo to two 10mm nuts holding the center of the fender (two groove in the fender slide over M6 studs welded in place and held there by two (m6) 10mm nuts, back off the nuts a bit using a couple extensions and a small 10mm socket through the inner fender opening, this will release the center of the fender allowing you to get your arm in far enough to get a 12mm wrench (Ratcheting wrench's/ gear wrench's make this easier) on the nuts holding the hinge to the car frame (loosen the upper and lower bolt on both hinges, the center bolt hold a positioning cone thingy that should move without loosening when the door gets adjusted).

With all 4 hinge bolts loosened (and the window opened), open the door (support the weight at the top of the door frame cause the door will want to drop when you open it) hold the door opened about 3" and lift the door till the upper edge looks to sit between 1/8" to 1/4" higher(Upper back corner) then it should when the doors shut, hold the door steady and have someone tighten the 4 mount bolts, before shutting the door make sure the fender grooves are over the M6 studs and not behind them (or the fender will bind against the door, bend at the grooves and never sit right again), try the door, if it doesn't sit right adjust the same way until sit right closed and doesn't ride the latch to close (also pulling or pushing on the door to adjust the gap between the door and rear quarter looks right might be require at the same time as you adjust the height).

Once the door height is adjusted (with the door shut) line the fender up to it and tighten the 10mm nuts through the inner fender. (why you adjust the door to the fender and rear quarter lines with the door shut before backing off the 10mm's and moving the center of the fender).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts