Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door won't stay open on my '93.
everytime i open it to get out of the car, it swings shut on me and bangs up shins, etc. what a pain in the a##!
does anyone know how to fix it?
Please Help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the same problem on my car, but on the passenger side...

Not a very fun thing when you're with a lady....

I think it could be some notch in the hinges that is worn... :confused:

Any other guesses?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i also have this problem. i invested in some shin guards. yes ppl laugh when i wear shorts....

solar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys! Guys! Just stop parking in hills!! Geez, it's not that complicated!:D j/k... This looks like a common problem on 6's... anybody knows how to prevent it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
same

Same problemo here, haven't figured out how to fix it.

alex

·
Registered
293 Posts
doors

yeah, I've got same here
The only advantage is that when I get out, I don't have to touch my paint or glass - the door closes itself.
Other thatn thAT - it's a pain in rear end

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I have this problem too (duh) but it seems that a lot of people with the 93LS are having this problem and the problem with the sunroof, you would think that we should A) be compinsated some how, or B) Have an easy fix/remedy already from the dealer. These problems combined with the problem with the distributer are really ticking me off because it seems like everyone has to deal with it no matter how well you look after your car which says to me that it is the fault of the manufacture/design and not due to regular wear and tear.

It is also worth mentioning that I heard Ford is in some deep shit over a massive lawsuit dealing with cars made between 1984 and 1994 and their faulty distributer/igniter, sound familer? I'm going to post again (on its own terms) but for more info check out www.canoe.ca and then go to the AUTO section, should see it there.

TTYL
Claeren.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
ok guys a little ingenuity here!!!

both my doors were like that...

there is a metal piece that looks like this:

===^===^===

thats where the notches are.. the reason the dorrs swing shuit is because they have flattened out over the years...

heres what i did. opened both doors WIDE open... past what they would normally need to be opened for a person to get out... then using a flat head screw driver, i pried the $hit out of them to raise the notches higher, then i put in some small shims, (you can just use wood, but i opted for thin metal shims... go to any hardware store they'll even have plastic ones, etc) painted them black with some rustoleum (mine were also rusting badly... the seals around my doors arent the greatest) and then used some thick marine grease on them so i wouldnt get a "squawk" when opening or closing the door.

Its worked great. i can even park sideways on an incline and they still hold the doors open.

so - am i the first one to come up with a resolution to this problem ? i highly doubt it but if so.. yay me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts