Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get in my car via the passenger side, and I barely get in there. the driverside door just doesnt ever wanna be unlocked. I can barley unlock it from the inside when i get in and I dont wanna break nothin. Any ideas. I dont wanna leave my car unlocked at school, but maybe since it kinda freezed shut I guess I could lol Its not even that cold out today, its gonna get alot worse. Help!

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
My dors like to freeze shut any time it snows. It really sucks, since the handle feels likle it's going to break off in your hand.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Get some lock lube and follow directions. My key would bend when I twisted it to unlock so I put some oil on my key and worked it back and forth til it freed up.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If the lock isn't moving, chances are that it's simply frozen. Appears to be a general problem with these cars... or maybe it's just my car?

I usually start off with just using a lock de-icer, or WD40 to get into the car in a pinch. However, this doesn't last long. The last, best solution I had was to open the door up (remove the interior cover panels) and alcohol-clean the lock assembly. Then I sprayed it completely (inside and within the door panel) with silicone spray lubricant - this stuff tends to "stick" to the parts better and doesn't wash off like WD40 or lock-lubricants. I did this to any and all moving parts in the locking mechanism. That seems to have solved the problem for about 2 years now, though it's starting to get stiff again this year.

Now, if it's just that the door is "sticking" closed, then your door seals might be freezing to the door. Armorall, WD40, or some silicone-based "grease" applied to the door seals will soften them up and keep them from freezing shut.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i oculdn't get into mine for two days last winter, and i took the door panels off this summer and lubed the assembelies up and put graphite in the locks. seemed to help quite a bit, and i'm going to put some lube on the seals as well, in hopes that the helps as well. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts