Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doors on my 89 mazda mx-6 sag and you have to slam them hard to close em right. I have played with the hinges where they connect to the door as well as the strike area. What can I do to get the doors closing right again? I cant seem to get to the bolts that hold the hinges to the body.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Jack up your car, take out the inner fender lining, then find all the bolt that hold the fender on. Take those out. Take off the fender. Now you can get to the bolts that hold the hinges to the unibody.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Oh yeah,
The bolts that hold the fender on are here-
One on the bottom, under the car, behind the front wheel.
One inside the fender, behind the front wheel.
One inside the door jam, above the top hinge.
Some more along the top edge of the fender, you can see them when the hood is up.

As far as re-hanging the door goes,
when you get to the bolts that hold the door on hinges to the frame, just remove the ones that are on the top and bottom of each hinge (while the door is closed). (There are three on each hinge - stay away from the nut in the middle.) (It may be wise to have someone there to hold the door shut just in case it falls open when you take out the hinge bolts - it shouldn't, but you know...safety.)
After you remove the 4 bolts just loosen the 2 nuts left on each hinge slightly, and with a friend there, open the door carefully and then close it, maybe use shims between the bottom of the door and the sill to align it correctly, then replace the bolts and tighten everything up again. The door is really heavy so you'll probably need two people...one to support the door and the other to tighten.

Take every caution to make sure the door will not fall off onto the ground or on you!

I just figured all this out because I took both front doors off my parts car today. Some other people probably have some more alignment tips.

[Edited by antiSUV on 03-07-2001 at 11:03 PM]

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I have the same problem with the doors sagging on my '91 DX. I really do not want to mess with re-hanging those doors, however. I was thinking of just calling a body shop and having them take the doors off and put them back on re-aligned. Anyone heard of doing this?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body shops can put doors back on? ;-)

No Ive never heard of a body shop that could actually take doors off and put them back on. ;-)

ActuallY I was thinking the same thing, because I don't wanna futz with it and since its so heavy, etc...

I wonder what a fair charge would be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts