Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, has anyone cut the middle bar between the two single-din slots and found a way to make a double din dvd-touchscreen combo fit? Don't know if I would put one in or not (I guess price would need to be right) but I'm curious..........

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
It wouldn't be too hard. I am planning on doing a 7" touchscreen in mine. :tup:

You would have to relocate the climate control down to where the dash pocket is now. http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-appearance/128622-how-climate-control-into-din.html

Then you would have to cut the gauge bezel and see how things line up. You would need to fiberglass/bondo it to fill some holes since the din holes don't line up straight.

Next you would have to mock it up and see what hits behind the dash of the car. Get the dremel out, clear a space, wire the stereo, and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
had a flip out t.v., was kinda boring actually so i sold it lol. Car PC eh? that would be kinda cool to tinker with.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I love my current head unit but it would be much easier to tune the car with an integrated PC than to lug my laptop around. The battery only lasts an hour anyway so long tuning sessions have to be near an extension chord, which is impossible while driving. :tdown:

Lestat13- I will look through my pictures and see if I have any of a double din install.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering because I've always thought a double din screen would look awesome in the MX-6. On the other hand, I just got a used (NOT stolen) single-din flip-out dvd unit for $150 :D If I decide I wanna go double-din, you might see a $150 flip-out for sale here

Thanks Chef!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. I've posted in the would be deceased link (don't kill me) and send a PM to stealth. I like what he did by moving the climate controls down to the ashtray, but I wanna know what he did about the huge hole in the top of his central dash

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There are more pics of screen installs if you search for "carputer" or "carpc".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts