Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Hi to all out there! This is my first post, so please be gentle with me.
I have found an MX6 (1990 turbo 4ws, 2.2 lt, 5 sp man, 120,000 miles) that I would like to buy. The current owner says there is a problem downshifting from 4th gear to 3rd gear, even when double clutching. I was wondering if anybody out there has had or has heard of this problem before.

I am yet to drive the vehicle, as it is located on the other side of town. So before I make the journey, I thought I would do a little research. I have never owned a Mazda (please don't hold that against me), but I know it's a 5 speed manual box.

Just wondering if I should steer clear of this vehicle or could there be an inexpensive solution to the problem.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for listening
Marc

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Its a worn synchro thats causing the problem.

You will find that if you went down from 4th and lent on 2nd gear a bit then you can go up into third.
One of the gearboxes i had use to do this and i got so use to leaning on 2nd everytime that i wanted the go from 4th to 3rd, that the problem ended up correcting itself.
One day i was driving and i went straight from 4th to 3rd and it worked from then on. This was about 3 months after the intial problem and allways leaning on 2nd during that time.

If you get the car, just try and save some money on the purchase price, just incase you need to get the box fixed.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
not to confuse you a little more...i've had the same problem, and it turned out to be the shift gate. Shortly thereafter, I lost all my gears and had to drop in a new tranny!

But I would DEF pick this car up....there's not too many 4WS MX6's around...well at least in my area. How much is he asking for it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts